Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 1:50:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a winchester mod 70 classic stainless in 300 win mag ... using hand loads of 180g bst rounds around the 2950fps-3000fps range im getting groups sub moa out to 200 yards ... outside that I'm somewhat limited by the 3x scope I have on it =)
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've got a winchester mod 70 classic stainless in 300 win mag ... using hand loads of 180g bst rounds around the 2950fps-3000fps range im getting groups sub moa out to 200 yards ... outside that I'm somewhat limited by the 3x scope I have on it =)

For a comparative analysis with my Remingtons I drug one of the African rifles out of the safe yesterday.  It's a .300WM Winchester M70 Custom Shop Ultimate Classic with an optional 26 inch full octagon barrel.  Wood's been replaced with a HS stock.  It's been accurized by Hill Country Rifles in New Braunfels.  They bedded and floated it, re-crowned and trued the action.  They also accurized my LTR so I'm familiar with their work.

It's been fed a steady diet of Federal Safari Grade 180 and 200 gn Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and has been quite accurate.  In fact it's NEVER MISSED ANYTHING IT'S BEEN POINTED AT.  From 18 pound steenbok to 1800 pound elands it's brought home the bacon for Miz Arock and me.  And in the process put thirteen animals in the SCI record book.  But I've never documented the rifle.

Have 72 pieces of nickeled brass saved up.  Ran them in the cleaner last night.  I'll start working them today.  Ordered some Sierra 190 gn MK moly's from Tommy at Georgia Precision yesterday.  Got a couple boxes of Federal GM210M and GM215M match primers.  Sime at The Reloading Bench has some RL22 and RL25 waiting to be picked-up.  Gonna load to 2900 ft/sec and see what kind of accuracy I can get out of the Winchester.

I'll keep you posted.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top