Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/5/2002 1:33:10 PM EDT
Sarco is advertising .308 heavy barrels (.920 entire length, 26" long) for something like $35 ea, or 3 for $99. I ordered 3 and have installed 2 on Czech actions, one for a customer, and one on mine. mine has the bedding compound hardening as I type. The barrels are advertised as Parker Hale, that were removed from receivers that had questionable metalurgy. They arrived a little dirty, with some light surface rust on the outside, and new looking bores. There are two holes near the muzzle where a sight was attached. I cut them down to 25 inches to remove the holes and turned down a recessed target crown on the lathe.

I shot the customers gun for him today to check for accuracy, and to see if he should go ahead and spring for a good trigger. With the military stock he had cut down, no bedding, bushnell scope, surplus south african ball ammo, and a crummy mauser military trigger it shot a 1 1/8 " group! I imagine with a good bedding job and a nice crisp trigger, it will be a nice rifle! I am bedding mine in a nice heavy walnut stock I found in the stacks of stocks in my shop. I'll bring it to the GSFS if it's done in time.

Just a heads up on the bbls, a pretty good investment!

Balming
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 7:04:48 PM EDT
I have a question for ya Balming. Would it be possible to fit one of these to a remmy 700 action? If yes do you think it would make a reasonable "budget" tactical rifle? Now if the answer to both of these is yes could you give me a quote on installing the bbl cutting it to 20" truing the action & lapping the lugs? If I'm goin to give out business I might as well give it to someone here. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 4:55:32 AM EDT
All of that is possible, but by paying someone to rethread the bbl for the Rem, and have to recut the chamber, you could buy a barrel from Midway. If you can find a $50 Mauser, put a $35 Bold adjustable trigger in it, a $35 bbl from Sarco, and $85 for barrel installtion, you would have $205 in a nice target rifle!

Also my tooling for Remington Actions was lost/stolen while moving my shop recently. The only tooling I have now is for mausers and m1 carbines.

balming
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 7:59:54 AM EDT
Hmmm I do have a 98 Mauser in the safe.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 3:54:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/8/2002 4:04:37 PM EDT by rpd_fire]
Hello I have a vz24 with a sewer pipe for a barrel.
I don't have the proper tools so.
How much to have you put one of the sarco barrels on it? and to have it cut down w/ a crown?
Barrel length with a .308? probably short 20/22in
Do I have to modify the mag?
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 5:56:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/8/2002 5:58:11 PM EDT by Balming]
Cut to length and put a recessed target crown-$35. Remove old barrel, install new one and cut chamber-$85.

Sometimes the magwells need work, and sometimes not. The VZ24 often needs little to none. It's one of the best actions to build from.

Balming
Top Top