Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2002 2:57:55 PM EDT
I've heard Special Weapons makes H&K clones, specificaly the MP5. What I'd like to know is, are these exact replicas? Could I swap parts with a true MP5 and vice versa? Also, has anyone had any experience with this company and the quality of their product? I'm a big fan of the MP5, and would like the next best thing, until I can afford the real thing, or until get stationed in Germany.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw one at the last gun show for $1300...
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#2]
A Deputy up north of me had his out this past saturday that he bought (fake suppressor model in 9x19). The thing looked fine enough, seemed to eat what he had on hand (reloads w/bullseye). Had the fluted chamber, and the short 3 lug barrel.
He is going to SBR the rifle, papers in right now. Finish looked ok, said he had to file the rail on the cocking tube, as it was finished kind of rough form stamping the material. He had a "S-E-F" housing cover on it, looked funny with the holes at front and no pin.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm ashamed to admit it but yes.... I too bought a SW-5 PDW. What a BIG MISTAKE. They do look good on the outside and for the price they ask, you would think that they would run like well oiled machines and never skip a beat. WRONG! That piece of crap was nothin but a Jam-O-Matic. Every third round or so it would double feed, fail to eject or stovepipe. And that was after I spent a small fortune buying factory curved HK MP-5 mags. Needless to say, I owned it for as long as it took me to make the first trip to the range. I was so dissapointed by this gun that I immediately took it back to the dealer without cleaning it first, threw it down on his sales counter and demanded a full refund for that P.O.S. If you want an HK 94 then you are best off buying one and not some not so cheap knock off immitation.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Duke, you should have worked on it a little--an H&K extractor will do wonders for the SW-5s.  

Mine has never had a problem, although it is one of the early ones whose measurements were a bit off--cocking tube is a tiny bit too long (we're talking maybe 20 thousands here), so is the receiver.  None of that has ever affected its function, however.  Very robust and very accurate 9mm carbine--I have a red dot sight on mine and take down bowling pins at 200 yards.  That's not bs.  Anything within 50 yds is dead meat--it will cut the center (or the head, if you prefer) right out of those B-27 targets.

I have both kinds of mags, straight and curved and both work fine with ball ammo.  I shoot mostly lead 125gr. reloads pushed by Bullseye.  It eats as much ammo as a real subgun!  It is nothing to empty a 30 round mag when there is no recoil and double and triple taps are so easy.  I wish I could have a real sliding stock and not the fixed A2 jobber...

One comment:  If I had it to do over again, I'd probably get a 9mm or 45ACP upper for my AR or build a dedicated sub-caliber AR that uses sten or uzi mags.  Same damn thing, about 1/2 the cost of the SW, not to mention the spendy H&K mags.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe it's just me but I expect that when you pay upwards of $1500.00 for a gun including tax, you should be able to take it right out of the box and shoot it flawlessly without having to make repairs on it to make it function properly.  I've spent lot's of time with MP-5's and have put thousands of rounds through them without those types of function problems, maybe I'm spoiled?  Anyways, after I took the SW-5 back and got my money refunded, I went out and bought a NIB Colt AR-15 .9mm preban with flash hider and collapsable stock.  I've been using original Colt 32 round factory mags.  Two thousand rounds and counting..... not a single malfunction!  If you go to the HK Pro website and post this same question, you will be bombarded with negative horror stories about the special weapons guns.  I'm glad yours is working well, it should for that price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top