Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2002 3:55:48 AM EDT
I have seen many comparisons, but not this one.  I know the Beretta is more common and battle proven.  But, the Taurus seems to be the same except for the safety.

I prefer the safety on the Taurus because it can be "cocked and locked", whereas the Beretta cannot be carried cocked.

Does anybody have any experience with the Taurus?
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 4:54:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Taurus makes good guns.  I have both a PT-92 and 92FS.  I like the feel of the 92FS better, but I prefer the safety/decocker on the PT-92.  Both guns are accurate and will reliably feed every type of ammo I've come across.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 4:59:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The original Beretta 92 could also be cocked and locked. This is the same pistol Taurus began manufacturing on Beretta machinery...or so it is said. The older Beretta mags used a release down at the butt of the grip frame. Taurus has come light years in its' QC, but I still prefer Beretta. Beretta is also now making a competition model with the older frame-mounted safety, but I do not recall the model #, nor if it is imported into the US.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Beretta M92F and it is my favorite handgun.  Through many thousands of rounds it has not failed me.  The Taurus is also a good gun, the basic design is sound and proven, I would trust it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 6:47:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a taurus pt-100. Owned it new since 91. I have had to send it back for a couple of problems. The first was a finish problem. The nickel was coming off the slide. It was known though that they had issues with other than bluing back then. The second was more recent and for two things. Again the finish was coming off, but this time it was the front of the barrel. And the extractor broke. I would say I have put near 4000 rds through it before that happened.
I picked taurus because of the saftey as well, and am not sorry. I also got the bonus of it was 40 cal instead of 9mm so it was even better. It has only had one type of ammo it would not feed, and that was fiocci(sp). I don't use it anymore, and it eats anything else I put through it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#5]
My beretta functioned like sheeiiiit in desert environment so I said, "GIVE ME MY 1911 BACK!"

No more trusting beretta.  It failed me once: therefore, I wont by the product again.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi all,
Just my 2 cents.
I am a cop in ohio and carry a beretta 96D on duty daily.
I have had and seen both on the range.
Given a choice I would not ever count on a taurus for saving my life.
I have seen to many of them fail during qualifacation.Both semi autos and revolvers.
I have yet to see a beretta fail on the range.
The taurus is a fine shooter though and for the money it is tough to beat.
The differnce is the quality of materials used to build the two guns.
Beretta uses better metals than taurus.
If you not gonna have the taurus on your side daily and just want something for the range then I would say the taurus is ok.Other wise I would go with the beretta.And NOT a DAO.
My off duty is a glock 30.
When I was at a differnt department I carried a glock 21 on duty and the 30 off duty.
The glock 21 is the gun..
Hi capacity and a real caliber.
Just my 2 cents.
Hope this helps.
GSX

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer the Taurus for two reasons:  Safety mechanism is better.  Trigger mechasism is smoother.  AS fars as materials, I've owned SS models of both.  IMO, build qulaity was comparable, but the slide on the berreta was finished nicer.  Also IMO, Beretta should be ashamed of the trigger on the M96 samples I've fired.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I went into a local weapons emporium some years back, money burning a hole in my pocket, trying to decide between several pistols, but was leaning toward a Beretta.

I mentioned I liked the feel of the Beretta, but did not like the decocker, that I preferred a real safety as on the 1911.

The owner of the store suggested I check out the Taurus 92F.  

A year later, a LEO friend (NO, I am not anti-LEO, I am anti-ATF, they are not LEO's, they are NAZIs) took a bunch of Civil Air Patrol  Cadets shooting, and I thought the similarity of my Taurus and AR-15's to military M9's and M16's would serve them well.  We shot a 5 gallon bucket of mixed factory and reload ammo.  All sorts of bullets from JHP to Ball. We had two pistols, and some of the Cadets were loading mags while others shooting.  We warmed them up a little, I think.

NOT ONE SINGLE FTF of any sort.  Just shot after shot.

I bought the Taurus, and have never regretted it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#9]
gsx678,

You say that you have seen many Taurus weapons fail while at the range. I personally have never seen a Taurus fail. I am not saying it has not happened, but I woould like to hear the stories behind the failures you have seen.

That said, I have owned MANY handguns, and fired MANY others, and my Taurus 92FS remains one of my alltime favorite practice toys. I have literally fired thousands of rounds through it and have never even had so much as a hiccup from it. It is also one of the most accurate 9MM I have.

It's a bit clunky to use as a carry piece(nevermind that I wouldn't carry a 9MM anyway), but for inexpensive and fun practice, I highly reccommend them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a Taurus 99AF, the one with the adjustable sights, that I put several thousand rounds through, to include lead reloads.

NEVER had a malfunction, even when firing loads that I had purposely downloaded to practice clearance drills.  Those same loads caused malfunctions in a Browning Hi-Power, S&W 659, and Ruger P95.

My Taurus ate them all up.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#11]
TAURUS also has LIFETIME WARRANTY wether you are the original owner or not!

I have a pt99 that has had all kinds of crap through it.  thousands by now.  no complaints at all.

StoneTemple
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 5:31:25 AM EDT
[#12]
While being an armorer in the ARMY, I have seen many problems with the Beretta 92 series, all the MWO's (manual work order)on that pistol alone has its own book. It was also known for the slide comeing off and hitting the shooter and depending where sometimes killing that person. The ARMY is already talking bout going back to a pistol with more stopping power...but when, knobody knows.
I say go with the Taurus.

Pat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top