Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/30/2002 4:25:35 AM EDT
My finace and I visted an indoor range in Raleigh, NC this weekend. She's deceided (with much rejoicing from me) to get a CCW. She works at Duke and doesn't feel safe in the parking lots. This is a huge step for her and I've very pround of her for taking responsibilty for her own saftey.
So we go to the indoor range to inquire about CCW training. This is my first time to this particular range so I started out by asking about fee's, RO's etc.
They wanted $15 to get on the range, plus $1 for each freakin' target! Yes, $1 each!
She was shocked at these prices, as was I. I didn't even ask about ammo! It wouldn't suprise me if they only let their ammo on the range.
The CCW class was $99, round count of 40.
They also had a huge markup on their handguns and longguns. Needless to say, we left for greener pastures.
I called around and found the same class (more or less) for $60. This same range said they have targets for sale @ .25 each or bring your own. Any non-magnetic ammo was fine. Range fee's were $7.50 per person. This was a little more reasonable...

Can anyone in the RTP area recommend a good indoor range? I would also love to find someplace outdoors, public or private, that we could shoot .22's. We have "spinner" targets that stick in the ground and love to make that thing hum!

As far as a carry gun, she likes the Kel-Tec P32 but I'm not real comfortable with her starting out with an auto. I'm going to steer her twards a small wheelgun, probably a 22 WMR or a .38 spl airlight type.
In the meantime, she's going to put lots of ammo thru my MK II Gov HB. Thats the "fun gun."
She's also taken a liking to my Taurus M72 "Gallery gun". That thing is a hoot to plink with, and one hell of a squirrl/woodchuck gun to boot.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 8:46:36 AM EDT
We have an indoor range/gun dealer here in Mesa, AZ.

Same story! I don't remember what there fee's were cuz it's been so long. But everything they sell is much more expensive than any of their competetors.

I don't know how they stay in business!
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:00:35 AM EDT
Does this indoor ranges name begin with a "D" by any chance?
Even though Duke is a private institution, it is a federal felony for her to carry on campus. However, if she were to be attacked on campus, the attacker would only get the state charge. WTF, over?
There are better people to learn from in this area. IM me and I can give you a name. Great guy, and fastest shooter I've ever seen. There is a better indoor range over in Garner. They used to have IDPA matches there.
Top Top