Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2002 6:02:51 AM EDT
What's the overall opinion of the Israeli M1 carbine clones (M888?). Decent or disappointing?
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Good surplus parts for the most part.  Not good receiver.  It's cast.

And it isn't an Israeli rifle as near as I know.  I think it's made by a company that just uses the IMI letters.  Anybody know?
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#2]
We sold them for a while when they were much easier to find.  Had no negative feed back on any of them.

They were said to have match grade barrels, but the one I shot seemed no different from any other carbine.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 7:09:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't remember what the story was.  They were marketed as made is Israel, but I think you were right, it was another company using the IMI name.  Can't remember the real story now, its been a while.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#4]
The company selling the carbines is Israeli Arms International (IAI), not Israeli Military Industries (IMI).
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#5]
So would one from IMI  be better than one fron IAI..even in general,is IMI a more 'reputable' product line ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#6]
IMI(Israeli Military Indusries), doesnt make the carbine. The one you refer to the model M888 is made by IAI(Israeli Arms International). There may be a link between the companys, I'm not really shure.

But anyway the M888 is comprise of new manufactured, and new surplus parts. Made in Texas...

This carbine is as close to a new GI carbine as one can have. It is exceptional quality and really really looks good... Buy one...Leave the originals in that shape for the collectors as they fetch really high prices.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Israel Military Industries (IMI) does not make M1 carbines.  This company is trying to trade on the Israeli reputation for quality to peddle their stuff.  I can't comment on the quality of their product.  I've never handled one.  But it's NOT Israeli, it never was Israeli.

The ONLY carbines that ever came from Israel were a bunch  that the US had sent over there for home defence use during the opening days of the 1973 war.  After the emergency was over, the Israelis sent a bunch of them back and they ended up on the surplus gun market.  You can identify one of these units by the serial number being stamped on the side of the buttstock.  Apart from that, the carbines that came back here are undistinguishable from any other WW2 US carbine, caliber .30,M1.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#8]
The reviews I have read in (I think) SOF magazine said to avoid them. There's too many good ones available out there to get burned on a lessor quality rifle, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 1:28:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top