Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2002 11:49:40 PM EDT
I want to make my own gun safe.  Does anyone know where I can get information on how they are constructed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 4:51:05 AM EDT
[#1]
P_M_O,

most are constructed of 1/4" steel welded together & have a 2" or 3" "dead space between inner & outer walls which are usually filled with plaster or concrete, the door hinges are hidden, similar to car door hinges.......

how much money do you plan on spending on this project ? how big do you want it ? are you a good welder & have the equipment ?

i am thinking about having my son come over from Commiefornia & weld together one for me, but it's going to be 3/8" steel & no insulation, it will be assembled in my "hobby shop" & permanantly fixed where it sits...
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe Rockboard- basically shreetrock, is what is used these days for fire resistance. That should make your task a bit simpler! The lock and live bolt config should be where you focus your investication- lots of things to think about there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Just build it out of wood!
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#4]
If I ever get the chance, I would build a fire resistive room/closet in the basement.  Use 8" cmu for walls (2 hour minimum fire resistance).  It will require a concrete top to maintain the 2 hour fire resitive envelope.  Equip it with whatever is necessary to maintain gun friendly environment (dehumidifier).  Shelves and work bench.  You can line the walls and ceiling with fire resistive gyp. board for further protection.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top