Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2002 2:22:06 PM EDT
Thought I'd post a pic of my 10 year old son with his first rifle, a Western Field Model 820B. Next to him is one of his 25m targets from this weekend. I bought the rifle from my brother-in-law for $20! Stripped and refinished the stock with a boiled linseed oil/beeswax finish. The bolt chrome pieces got a generous polishing along with a complete tear down/cleaning of the entire rifle. The sights were missing parts so I removed them and added a Bushnell Banner .22 scope from my grandfather. Iron sights would have been better to learn basic marksmanship with, but he can always practice this with Dads rifles!

Link Posted: 9/24/2002 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
My first rife(other than crap BB guns)
I was 12 and my mom got me a remington .22 cal Viper. I made sure she knew I wanted a black,semi auto!
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Uh oh.... the dreaded X....

The first rifle I shot was a Mossberg 142A .22S-L-LR rifle with a Weaver B6 scope and tip-off mount. Had the fold down "tommy gun" style stock. I am still trying to locate one for my collection. My dad still has his and I found the scope and mount on eBay. Now I just need the gun to buy to go with it. If you've got one I WANT IT!

The first rifle I received (not counting my BB Gun) was a Marlin .22LR Semi with a 7 and 15 round mag. I love that little gun.... of course.... I love all my guns.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#3]
j c higgins [mossburg] 22 bolt action that my mother used to shoot when young from my grandfather when he died
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, when i turned 12 my father made me attend hunter's saftey. As part of the course we had to shoot clays. That's when i inherited the Stevens/Savage 311A side by side double. 20Ga. Of ocurse, after i completed the class, i got my first rifle which was a MArlin Mod. 60 .22LR. Still got that puppy. 18 round tube mag. Now i want to sell it for cash towards a 10/22.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was five my dad gave me (well, at least I got to call it "mine") an Ithaca M49. It's a single shot lever action .22 that looks like a Win. 94 copy. When I was eight, I graduated to a Revelation 105 .22 bolt action. I still have both of them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#6]
My first was a Winchester .22LR pump gun. It was given to me by a good friend of my uncle's. His father gave it to him, and because he never had kids of his own he gave it to me when I was about 11. Great gun, never had even one problem with it. I still have it and use it to start off the family (and many good friends) shoot every year.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]
When I turned 18, I went out and bought a ruger 10/22.  All these stories about being 10, 11, 12... make me wish I didn't have liberal pussies for parents.

Keving67
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The first rifle I ever shot was also my dad's first rifle - a VERY old .22 rimfire Winchester single shot. He still has it (hopefully I will some day) but it doesn't get fired any more. If I were going to shoot it, I think I'd only use .22 shorts.
The first rifle I ever owned is pictured below - a Winchester model 69. It is lovingly stored in my safe, and is still shot often. My dad gave it to me when I was 6, but it was too big for me. By the time I was 8, dad had cut off the stock quite a bit so I could shoot it. Soon, I was using it in the NRA Junior Marksmanship program. I made it all the way to Expert, but did not get the Distinguished badge. I still have the medals and badges and certificates somewhere in a box. After that, the peep sights were removed and the scope installed for plinking and my teenage years. That's the configuration it has been in ever since. If you look very closely at the butt of the stock, you can see the line where it was cut off and later reattached.  This rifle still shoots dime sized groups at 50 yards.
I wouldn't sell it for ANY price, but I'll probably leave it to my nephew some day unless I have rugrats of my own.

Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't recall clearly (it was a long time ago) but my first rifle was either a Remington Rolling Block 22 my Dad got me when I was ~ 4, or the bolt action rifle he had shortened for me to use.

Ny son's first rifle is the Keystone Arms Crickett I got him last year (at age 8).

Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to dig way back into the safe to find it, but here it is.. Savage Stevens rolling block. My dad got it for me when I turned 5.

My 6 yr old daughter does not like it She want's a AR!
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, when i turned 12 my father made me attend hunter's saftey. As part of the course we had to shoot clays. That's when i inherited the Stevens/Savage 311A side by side double. 20Ga. Of ocurse, after i completed the class, i got my first rifle which was a MArlin Mod. 60 .22LR. Still got that puppy. 18 round tube mag. Now i want to sell it for cash towards a 10/22.

NO!!!! NO!!!! NO!!!!!

Don't sell it! You will someday regret it. 10/22's are like $150.00 from WalMart for a brand new one. I find it hard to believe that the sentimental value of you first rifle is less than that! This is the type of family heirloom that you pass to a child or grandchild someday (if you have any).

I am hoping someday that that Mossberg 142A becomes mine (albeit not anytime soon... I'd much rather have dad around and get to shoot the 142A when he lets me instead).... but someday that 142A will belong to one of my grandkids.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Marlin model 60 in .22 was my first.
A .22 rifle is always a de-virginizer.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
NO!!!! NO!!!! NO!!!!!

Don't sell it! You will someday regret it. quote]

you may be right. I just never use the damn thing. Hasn't been fired in years. Here's the deal....When i was born, my grandfather bought me the rifle with the understanding when i turned 12 and passed hunter's safety, i get it. My father tried to get him to buy a 10/22, but my grandpa looked at price, not quality. the first gun i really ever used was the savage 311A 20 Ga. MY grandpa bought it for my dad when he was a kid, and now i have it. So the sentimental value lies in the double more than the marlin. I never really was much for marlin though... they always seem to cut corners.

You may be right though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Well sadly I don't have my first rifle anymore.  Traded it for a Bushmaster AR-15, still don't regret it thought.  he
Yeah the day after I bought it I went shooting with my dad, uncle, and grandparents.  Shot that rifle so many times that my arm hurt for a week and a half.  Mostly because it took a few rounds to know to hold it tight to your shoulder.  Only gripe was that the rifle didn't have any form of pad to speak of, besides a hard rubber so you felt the full brunt of the recoil.  There is plenty of harder kicking rifles out there but at least they have a pad to help take it.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#16]
When I was 12 I had one of these under the tree Christmas morningwww.remington.com/firearms/rimfire/552.htm-  Remington 552 BDL Deluxe Speedmaster  I have yet to see another one of these rifles actually owned by someone besides me, it's been 11 years since I got it.  All I see are Rugers and Marlins.  I still have it and will never in a million years sell it at any price.  

BTW, Don't ever sell your first gun.... ever, ever, ever.

edited to add red emphasis  
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#17]
My first was an Iver Johnson, Model XX, single shot .22.  It belonged to my grandfather and was given to me by my dad.  It had ceased to operate when I was a teenager.  It was ideal for backpacking as it easily breaks down.  I recently got it out, got a replacement front sight and firing pin from Numrich and hand made a rear sight with a dremel tool (looks just like the original).  Took it to the range and it shot great.  While it's still in my safe, it's now my grandson's first.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Not counting my Crossman 760 it was a Lakefield Mossberg "Plinker", single shot .22
Gave it to a friend for his kid.Dont miss it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I was not allowed to own any gun, not even a pellet gun ("You can always use you dad's to hunt" is what my Mom always said, not understanding target shooting)

So at 16 I went adn bought a Russian single shot .22, love that rifle for what it was, then I bought a 12 guage single shot, a winchester. It just died in a flood at my Dad's. After that I started buying real rifles, a Carcano, and my favourite, a Winchester model 92 in 44-40, made in 1895......

Bes trifle I ever had, and only one of my early rifles that I wish I had never sold.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#20]
a very old bolt action 22. i think its a winchester dont know since my grandpas still has it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I got to shoot my dad's and uncle's weapons but the first rifle I actually bought was a Norinco SKS when I was 16. (don't think that the dealer should have sold it to me, but I'm glad he did.)

Don't think I'll ever get rid of it.  Not the nicest or prettiest rifle I own, but it does have a quality all of its own...
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#22]
This is the first rifle that I've called my own besides a BB Gun, though I have fired many of my father's before it, this was my first. Remington Model 788 6mm Left Handed.

Link Posted: 9/25/2002 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't ever sell your first gun!!!!I still have mine, a marlin 780 with a 4x scope. I also have my first pistol, a Ruger Single Six, three screw model, with a flat loading gate. After much abuse, I sent it back to the factory for re blueing. It now is retired in my gun safe. I bought a similar model later except this one has the normal type loading gate.......Wish I still had my first bb gun. Lent it to someone and never got it back..Hey, that's a thought for a new topic.....
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Hmm.. let's see if I can remember.  Oh yeah!  I got my first rifle just two weeks ago; a brand-new AR-15 kit from Olympic Arms.  Never shot a rifle before two weeks ago; can you believe it?  I just love it.  It's incredibly fun to shoot at the range.  I'm hooked!  

Even better was just two days ago my wife and I went to the range and she shot the AR for the first time and really enjoyed it.  Maybe an excuse to buy another? ;-)

Link Posted: 9/25/2002 6:23:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I had to dig way back into the safe to find it, but here it is.. Savage Stevens rolling block. My dad got it for me when I turned 5.
www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=FatMcNasty&album_id=96146&image_id=8&courtesy=1
My 6 yr old daughter does not like it She want's a AR!

================================================
FM,
that rifle looks very similar to my first rifle, a "Stevens Favorite", my Great Aunt gave it to me when i was 12 y.o., it still shoots great....., in fact it is my "cat sniper rifle"

Link Posted: 9/25/2002 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Remington 514 .22 single shot. Still got it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Marlin Model 39A.  I think I was 13.  Got it as a Christmas present.  It is so damn accurate and fun to shoot.  I mounted a Bushnell 1.5 to 4x scope on it later and used it for small game hunting in PA as a teenager.

Still have it today.  I would never sell it.  I later went on to buy a Marlin 336c in 30/30.  Awesome deer rifle, esp for the woods of PA.  Damn accurate too.  They make great rifles at Marlin, at least they did.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/leverAction22/Golden39A.htm  
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Western Field (Mossberg) bolt action single shot .22 at age 14.  Still have it & will never sell it.  First centerfire rifle= M43 La Corona 8mm (Spanish M98 Mauser) 18th birthday present.  Also not for sale ever.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
When I turned 18, I went out and bought a ruger 10/22.  All these stories about being 10, 11, 12... make me wish I didn't have liberal pussies for parents.

Keving67

ROTFLMAO!!!  I was in a similar situation.  Bought a Winchester shotgun as the first weapon and a Ruger 10/22 after that.  I have since picked up another 10/22 and have given them to my sons aged 7 and 9 to break the cycle of gun intolerance!!!  
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Remington Model 12,.22pump rifle with octagonal barrel.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#32]
heheh, I can't belive that on an AR-15 board I am the only one here who's first rifle was an AR-15, lol. I got bit by the bug hard when I was 17 and got it for my birtday. A Bushmaster XM-15es2 with 20" stainless steel barrel.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#33]
My first was a Crossman 760 with a Weaver scope when I was around 14. Shot the hell out of that thing in the basement and on daily neighborhood jaunts. You could carry something like that around the 'hood back then. I read everything I could get my hands on back then about shooting and hunting but never had a big hankering to buy a real rifle till I got into my 20's.

I'm not sure if my parents would have let me have one or not. I was learning to fly as a teenager so I was working and spending every dime on that so it never came up. Wish I had been collecting milsurp firearms back then though!

My first real rifle was an SKS. My brother-in-law let me shoot his about 8 years ago. Pure fun, I ran out and purchased one right away. Now I have...um, several different rifles. The exact number is a closely guarded secret, to protect my marital status. The funny part is I heard her give an estimate of the actual number to a friend of hers recently. I'm home free, she guessed way high! I have plenty of headroom now.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#34]
SKS Paratrooper that wouldn't feed from the Chinese 20-rd. mag I stupidly attached to it.
Traded it off and have regretted it ever since.
Had I only left it as it WAS, I'd probably still have it!
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#35]
My first rifle was an Armscor Precision M-1600R. You know, one of those .22LR rifles made in the Phillipines that looked somewhat like an M-16. It had a birdcage flash suppressor and a spring-loaded retractible stock. I paid $50 for it, but it is just a faded memory now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top