Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2002 4:29:35 PM EDT
I made the mistake of purchasing a Yugo SKS from wholesale guns n ammo after reading a favorable review in Shotgun News. The first one looked really good on the outside, the bore was crap. paid $20 to send the POS back for an exchange. Just got the new one today. Bore looks pretty good, the rest of the rifle is crap. Bolt is pretty rusty, bolt carrier is rusty, trigger group is F*****G red in places. Now keep in mind that this was listed as an EXCELLENT/LIKE NEW rifle. This thing was covered in cosmoline. Now comes the important question, what to do with the POS? If I try to get a refund I have to pay a 15% restock fee plus another $20 shipping. Not to mention the money lost on the transfer fee. I could send it back for yet another try but honestly I cannot believe my luck will get any better. The rifle looks like it would function, so I could keep it. But I am hesitant to do this on general principles. I mean if I wanted a pre-rusty rifle I could have paid less for it. So what should I do here?
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:33:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2002 4:33:46 PM EDT by WEAKSAUCE]
Keep it
The SKS like the AK is indestructible and yours will perform with a little cleaning up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 9:04:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 9:11:03 PM EDT
pay the extra $10 for hand-picked selection.

otherwise you get the crap no one else wants.

Link Posted: 9/24/2002 12:58:58 AM EDT
If it isn't brand new, don't buy a damned thing sight-unseen.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 9:13:16 AM EDT
Paint it flat black...put "MUDDA FU***R" on it in big white letters and throw it in the truck...might save your life someday!
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 9:22:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WEAKSAUCE:
Keep it
The SKS like the AK is indestructible and yours will perform with a little cleaning up.

Gorto, your SKS will be just fine if you take all the parts and scrub them up. Get some re-bluing solution or even some heat-resistant paint for the barrel/gas tube/receiver if you like, and it will look just like new. They are pretty foolproof to operate and parts are readily available and cheap. Check out the gun shows in MN this winter.

Watch out for the firing pin sticking in the bolt carrier, though. You may get a full-auto surprise if it starts to stick.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 3:13:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mcnielsen:
Gorto, your SKS will be just fine if you take all the parts and scrub them up. Get some re-bluing solution or even some heat-resistant paint for the barrel/gas tube/receiver if you like, and it will look just like new. They are pretty foolproof to operate and parts are readily available and cheap. Check out the gun shows in MN this winter.

Watch out for the firing pin sticking in the bolt carrier, though. You may get a full-auto surprise if it starts to stick.

I guess I will keep the thing. Maybe I can fix it up. The firing pin is gummed up pretty bad, hoping it is more cosmoline than rust. What do you use to strip the old paint/rust? Or does the re-bluing solution tell you how to do this on the label. Any help would be appreciated. BTW when are the gun shows this winter? They usually have them at the Fairgrounds, just not too sure when.

Zardoz- I have even been screwed on new rifles. Try two defective rifles, in the same order, from Armalite of all places. More proof I have really S****Y luck...
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 5:19:36 PM EDT
Send it to me I will fix it up for you
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 5:26:48 PM EDT
Sounds like a normal Yugo. I've looked at several, including three that relatives have bought, and the bores on all of them were "dark and fuzzy." After much cleaning, they looked better, but the bores still didn't look anywhere near as good as a Russian or Chinese SKS with a chrome bore. BTW, all of them worked just fine.z
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 9:14:18 PM EDT
I have started to hear more stories about people getting ripped off by Wholesale Guns and Ammo INC. Let my pain be your gain, don't patronize these clowns. Would it be appropriate to post this warning in the general discussion forum? Here is a link to the other complaints.

www.gunboards.com/trader/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=5&TID=417&P=1=
Top Top