Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2002 4:36:26 PM EDT
It seems that EO Tech HDS are the rage right now, but I just wanted to see what some of the opinions out there regarding what I feel is a limitation of the EO Tech design.  I have experimented with both a 1st generation and a current 511 model and found that the recticle "washes out" when pointed at a light source.  Some situations that I can think of where this comes into play is shooting when the sun is low on the horizon, someone pointing an 870 with a surefire at you, or glowy, shiny, green men are coming at you with probes.
Let me know if I have a point or if I should seek psychiatric assistance.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I own and have used both sighting systems on my guns.  Both are high quality units and work well.  Strong points on my Eotech are big sight picture, auto shut-off feature and common AA bateries.  Strong points on the Aimpoint are flip-up lens covers, precise dot size and multiple mounting hardware options.  I carry the Aimpoint on my M-4 carbine more often than the Eotech only because I feel the sight picture (size of the dot) is more suitable for distances both close and far.  The red dot pattern on my Eotech consists of a dot with a bigger outter red ring, which is great for close quaters stuff but tends to cover the target at distance (perhaps Eotech also makes other dot options).  My opinion is that a rifle capable of effective long range accuracy (up to 300 yds) should have a sight system that enables the rifle to perform to its potential.

If I were only to use my carbine for CQB and never expected to take up a perimeter position to offer long range support, then I would definately go with the Eotech.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Duke76:

I just shot an Eotech on an HBAR AR15-A3.  Loved it.  And was actually leaning toward the Aimpoint at first, though I've never fired with one.

The Eotech has a 1 MOA center dot and a 64 MOA outer ring.  The Aimpoint has a 4 MOA dot.  It would seem to me that the 1 MOA Eotech would make long range shooting easier, not harder.  I was easily making head shots at 50-100 yards with the Eotech.

Not a flame (seriously, I'm really interested in what your opinion is!), just wondering what makes the larger dot Aimpoint "better" at longer distances.  I really need to get my hands on an Aimpoint before I make my decision.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
As I said, I think they're both fine sighting systems and it will probably boil down to personal preference for you.  I would just urge you to shoot with both before you plunk down that much cash.  And use them the way you would use them in a real world application (close, far, through you irons).

I like the Aimpoint when shooting distance because it doesn't have the outer ring which I find distracting when the target is so small and light levels are low.  As for the size of the Aimpoint dot, I will usually turn down the brightness level for far away targets which seems to make the dot shrink in size and I can usually hit with pretty good accuracy up to 200 yds or more.  I will also occaisionally pop up my rear flip up sight and use a combination of the red dot through the iron sights (kind of a co-witness).  This works great with the Aimpoint dot with the small rear apature but the Eotech seems to blurr out when you do this.

I'm sure you'll be happy with which ever sight you purchase but the most important thing to do is to train with the one you buy so you know it's capabilities and its limitations.  Be sure to set it up so that you can still use your irons through the glass in case of a battery failure.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Duke76:

Thanks for answering my questions.  Guess I should be trying them out in varying light conditions as well.

And the long range co-witness thing seems like a great idea.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Three friends and I have been testing several different optical sights on our AR carbines for past several weeks and we have learned what works best for us.

I have a Bushnell Compact holosight (very similar to EO tech), Aimpoint ML (3 moa dot) and Tasco PDP3 (4 moa dot), one of my friend has a Trijicon Reflex2 with the triangle dot and another has a Leupold 2.5X scope.  Each sight was mounted on a flattop AR carbines of various manufacturers including BM (2), RRA, Colt and Eagle.  All were mounted so the dot or cross hair was just centered above the front fight.  Also, they were all mounted without rear sights so we would be depending on the optical sights only.

Course of fire was to shoot 2 rounds at each of 4 targets (8 ”x 10” cardboard) placed 2 yards apart from 10, 15, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150 and 200 yards.  We each shot the course several times to get an “average” time for each sight and distance.

First thing we noticed was that everybody shot his fastest time with the Bushnell holosight from 10, 15 and 25 yards.  Second was that at 200 yards everybody shot his fastest time with the Leupold 2.5X scope.  Aimpoint and Tasco consistently had the fastest time at 75, 100 and 150 yards for three of us while the forth guy found the Bushnell to be fastest from 10 to 50 yards then the Leupold to be the fastest from 75 to 200 yards.  Nobody got the fastest time from any distance with the Trijicon Reflex2.  In terms of accuracy and speed, none of us found the Aimpoint to be any better than the Tasco.  

We all agreed that the holosight was the fastest at close range while 3 of us found tube red dot sight (Aimpoint and Tasco) were fastest at mid range.  Beyond 150 yards, the 2.5X Leupold was the best for everybody.  

Please understand that this was no scientific research and out time keeping was just to calculate average time with no great record keeping or analysis (another words it was just for fun ).  My friends and I are only weekend shooters with no extensive or serious military or SWAT training in use of rifles for CQB.  However, we do shoot almost every weekend and we do shoot a lot (300-500 on a weekend for each) at ranges up to 440 yards with our AR and AK rifles.              
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 6:21:17 AM EDT
[#7]
If you decide on the Eotech, I will sell you mine.  It's like new in the box and has only been used on the gun once.  It is the Law Enforcement/Military model #552 which takes regular AA bateries.  SORRY....SALE PENDING!
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input guys.  I think I'll sell my Holosight and keep the Aimpoint.  I agree with Duke though both are great just gotta make sure to have the right kit for the right gig.  As for my wash out observation, you can verify it by pointing the HDS at a light source(flourescent light panels or 60+ watt bulb).

"Stay alert...Stay alive!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top