Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/15/2002 5:35:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2002 5:38:16 PM EDT by serpico40]
o.k., without going into irrelevant details, here's the sitrep.
where i work, we recently upgraded a piece of equipment, removing the old one.
the old machine used silicone spray lube for moving parts. rather than let the stuff get trashed, i took it off their hands, with firearm use in mind, of course!! (10,6oz areosol cans of silicone spray lubricant)

i was wondering, could i use this stuff on firearms? would it gum up, or be detrimental in heat or cold? i just don't want to screw up my firarms .
it's pure silicone lube in aerosol cans.
(edited to add, i just sprayed it on an aluminum file cabinet, and it left a thin film, about the consistency of CLP, and it doesn't appear to have evapotated any after about 4 hours)

thanks, gun gurus......
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 5:49:26 PM EDT
Actually, I use commercial silicone spray for cleaning. The solvents/pressure in it blast away dirt and grit very nicely in actions and trigger groups and it leaves almost no residue. I use Hoppes to scrub in the barrel, and rinse with Silicone. When I am done I use Break free CLP as the final lube. For a dollar and a half a can, I can clean a rifle 2-3 times.

Link Posted: 9/15/2002 6:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2002 6:27:13 PM EDT by Fearandloathing37]
I've been know to spray a little White Silicone Lock Spray on AR15 magazine springs before I re-assemble them.

I also use a Teflon Multi-Porpose lubricant called "Super Lube" (Availible at Lowe's.) made by Synco Chemical, Bohemia New York.

It comes in a small plastic silver colored tube that looks Like a tooth paste tube with a Green, Blue, Orange and Yellow Stripe just under the "Super Lube" wording on the label.

I place a very small dab on high friction areas on My AR, Glock 21, S&W 99/40, and Riotgun.

A little bit of this stuff goes a long, long way and I have been working on the same 3oz tube for six years and still have 90% of it left.

It's like a very light grease that does not pick up to much dust, dirt or gunk, yet stays on much longer than CLP.

Just a coating film is all you want of this stuff.

Link Posted: 9/16/2002 6:00:33 AM EDT
I remember hearing years ago that silicone (like the silicone impregnated clothes) do not allow moisture to evaporate or pass through it thus trapping it on metal surfaces? Always just used a little CLP on a cloth since.
Top Top