Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/15/2002 4:03:54 PM EDT
Can someone tell me how a flash hider actually works. I've seen muzzle brakes and and other attachments that look very similar to the "flash hiders" on GI Rifles on post ban rifles. What's the difference and how does this device actually hide the flash?
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 6:10:26 AM EDT
Remember: The flash hider is to hide the muzzle flash from the operator of the rifle, to protect night vision, not to hide the flash from the "target." I'm not sure "how" it works but it appears to dissipate the combustion gasses quicker.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 8:55:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ZOG:
Remember: The flash hider is to hide the muzzle flash from the operator of the rifle, to protect night vision, not to hide the flash from the "target."

...making one wonder why the devices are 'evil'...
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 1:05:40 PM EDT
Flash Hiders are usually cone shaped devises which hide the muzzle flash of a weapon from the shooter, thus preserving his night vision. Examples of Flash Hiders can be found on some WW2 bolt action rifles.

Flash Supressors are usually pronged or sloted devises which supress muzzle flash by cooling the burning gassess as they exit the muzzle, thus protecting the shooters night vision, and also concealing his position from the enemy. Examples of Flash Supressors are the Vortex & Phantom.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 1:50:55 PM EDT
And a muzzle brake works by directing the hot gasses escaping from the muzzle upward to counteract the muzzle's tendency to rise with recoil. Some of them look like flash suppressors, but a suppressor is open at the end, while a muzzle brake will have an opening of a smaller diameter - to help "capture" the escaping gasses and direct them upwards.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 6:03:25 PM EDT
I might add that no flash suppressors can fully hide the muzzle flash of modern automatic weapons, they reduce the flash signature a great deal but you can always see the cherry, so instead of a fireball you'd see a dim orange/red flash. With a sound suppresor that might be different, but I have no knowledge or experience with that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 7:09:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
Examples of Flash Supressors are the Vortex & Phantom.

And the standard A1, A2, and the original 3 prong.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 8:52:31 PM EDT
For info on muzzle brakes and compensators (and much more) see: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/ballistics.htm

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 10:47:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2002 12:32:59 PM EDT by raf]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:26:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2002 11:30:20 AM EDT by southfloridaguns]
I don't think any "cooling" takes place within the device. What happens is that the gases (invisible) are able to escape but the powder is contained and allowed to finish burning without the shooter seeing. If the gases aren't allowed to escape they would simply push the burning powder out in front of the shooter. Which is why when you have a long enough barrel there will be no flash even with a bare crown. Also flash suppressors do nothing to hide the flash from downrange. I know all of this is already known. I'm just debating the "cooling" idea because the gases are just as hot as the flash but they aren't expressed as visible light.
Top Top