Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2002 11:54:37 AM EDT
Skowhegan Maine (my home town) police dept wants to upgrade their Beretta 9mm handguns to H&K USP45's. www.centralmaine.com/news/stories/020910skow_pre.shtml

IMO, this is a wise move as long as all the officers can handle the 45. I'm sure some of the female officers have smaller hands and will have problems with the large frame of the USP45.
These officers routinly dispatch Black bear, deer and moose with there sidearm. The 9mm isn't up to this task.
Also, keep in mind that winter in Maine is very cold. Most people wear lots and lots of clothes. The 9mm hollowpoint may have trouble penetrating winter layers. (although FMJ's should do fine.)
Just wanted to throw this out as its where I grew up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]
the M9 has a wide grip for a 9mm  so I think they will be ok with the .45.
do black bears really attack people???
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
the M9 has a wide grip for a 9mm  so I think they will be ok with the .45.
do black bears really attack people???

No, I've never heard of one attacking anyone. However, they do get hit by cars and trucks alot. When they are wounded, they are MEAN!
Lots of teeth and claws.
I remember one guy I know said he hit one and tried to put it out of its misery with a tire iron...he couldn't do it. The thing came after him, dragging itself with its front legs (back legs were broken).
FWIW, most of the game wardens in my area still carry .357 wheelguns. Apparently they stick with that works.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#5]
The National Park Service still carries .357 revolvers IIRC. Why would you patrol the Great Smokies or Yellowstone with a gun that's not legal for hunting in some areas (i.e. 9MM) or a .45 for that matter?

Do you really think 15 rounds of 9MM will stop a wounded bull moose? A .45 is better but I'd get .357s for rural areas and parks.

CRC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top