Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2002 12:31:51 PM EDT
Check this out. Has anyone had any experience with this brand?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2100188515&tc=photo
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked up some refurbed Orlites a year or so ago.  Excellent condition, every bit as functional as any USGI I've used.  The 25 or so Orlite's I have are much less of a crap shoot than 100 or so used USGI I've had in terms of mag well fit.  One of the Orlites I have(not from the refurbed group)had a cracked feed lip.  Wasn't that long ago that you could get the well used goldenrod GI's for $7 in quantity.  If you can find them again, I'd go with those.  If not, I'd have NO problem recommending the Orlites.  This assumes, of course, that the mold date is after 32(IIRC)to insure fit in all magwells.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#3]
www.aimsurplus.com has them for $9.95.  They are good to deal with.

My experience with Orlites is that they function as well as USGI.  However, quite a few would not drop free, and you can not press them back into shape like the GIs.  I have had some rounds jump out when I have seated the mag really hard, but this has happened with GIs too.

The Orlites I bought from AIM were in good shape, including the feed lips, and they were not painted.  As Mr. kfranz pointed out above, some Orlites will not fit in all mag wells (Bushmaster is one receiver with this problem).  I specifically requested that AIM send me Orlites that would work in a Bushy, and they did.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I must agree with Troy here.  I would rather spend $25 or so on a good used USGI that getting 2 or three Orlites.  The Orlites we are getting are worn out, and were never intended for longterm usage to begin with.  They were to be disposable, and they are being disposed of in the USA.

The Thermolds are a big improvment over the Orlites, and are the only plastic mags I would spend my money on.  There are at least in the same ballpark as USGI's.  That being said, I would STILL rather have USGI's over the Thermolds.  

As far as USGI's, I am not partial to any particular brand (though I like the Adventure Line name!  Cool!), except to avoid Coopers.  At least 20% of my mags are D.L.Sanchez, and no particular problems with those.

Even my worst looking USGI (pitted metal, apparently from new, on one side), functions perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#5]
For $9.95 from AIM get a couple and try them out.  I have never had a problem with the used orlites,  just gave them a good cleaning first.  All that said, no mag related failures of any kind with the orlites in my Bushy.  I don't know what others have experienced but that is mine and I don't really think that they are disposable.  Actually they strike me as somewhat more durable than GI but you gotta do it on your own experience, not an opinion off the net.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top