Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2002 9:06:21 AM EDT
Assuming that the condition is good would there be any drawbacks to shooting this stuff. I'm refering to the Yugo 7.62x39 ammo made in the 70's. It's fairly cheap with brass casings, lead cores, and copper jackets. What do you think? How old is too old?
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 9:35:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2002 9:39:33 AM EDT by oneshot1kill]
Generally speaking ammo can be much older than that and still be perfectly reliable. I have a few hundred LC 5.56mm rounds left from the early 80's that I used in the service and they are good as new. I also have a handfull of .50 BMG rounds left and they are from the late 50's and two 100 round M60 7.62mm belts from the early 80's that I use on an occasional basis in a rifle which also performed without failure. It mainly depends on how it was stored over time. I don't know specifically about the Yugo 7.62x39, but I would think that they are reliable barring any QC issues with that ammo when it was made.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 9:38:50 AM EDT
Ammo from the 70's is ok if you shave the side burns off before you fire it!
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 9:39:50 AM EDT
I just recently finished off the last case of some 73 headstamp M193 that I use in my ARs and it was perfectly reliable with good accuracy. The stuff I'm using as range ammo for my .45 all has a '42' headstamp and I've never had a problem with any of it. I use stuff older than that in some of my Mausers.

Any ammo that is only 30 years old is almost new by my standards.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 10:07:42 AM EDT
The age of the Yugo ammo is not a problem but what might be is that much of it is corrosive. There are two types of this Yugo ammo. The newer batches were non-corrosive while the older stuff was. Read the labels carefully and if in doubt, clean your barrel as if it was. Of course if you have a chrome lined barrel, it doesn't matter all that much anyway, but I thought I would pass along this info.

LOL, I used to have an old Argentine Mauser that I fired many, many rounds of 1930's FN ammo through! None of the ammo looked like it had been stored in good conditions, as some had even had stuff spilled on it and everything. But it fired just the same. I think the concerns of using ammo that's 20 or even 30 years old are pretty unfounded. I haven't experienced any more misfires with 20 year old surplus ammo than I have with brand new production ammo.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 11:07:33 AM EDT
I have some USGI 1969 7.62X51 that were pulled from the links and are fine. I also have some Israeli 9MM headstamped '49 and '50...other than being corrosive and bounce around alot, they are fine too. But some fairly recent Black Talons I have in .45 ACP have went bad, dud primers. My rule of thumb is if it goes off, its OK, grossly corroded brass notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 3:44:50 PM EDT
should be fine I've been shooting some LC M193 with a '78 headstamp and its reliable, hot and accurate practice ammo.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:14:21 PM EDT
Just a small example. But I shot some Nazi 8mm through an old German Mauser. It was dated 1933. Shot just fine. and was FUN! The man who let me shoot it, took the rifle out of a German tank during the Battle of the Bulge... Really cool experience for me to shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:17:26 PM EDT
last month I finished off the last of a lot of Canadian 9mm dated 1943.. every one was sure fire!
Top Top