Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2002 4:32:59 PM EDT
I want to add an AK type rifle to my collection and have decided on either of these two.  I'm leaning more closely to the Vepr II but still cannot make a decision.  I would like to know opinions on both rifles.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Most people think the SLR is the best quality AK ever imported.

The barrels are chrome-lined and hammer forged on equipment bought from Steyr.

I've heard reports that Kalishnkov himself once said that the Bulgarians made the best quality AK's.

I can find no fault with mine other than the crappy shaped stock that comes on it, and the weight of the milled receiver.

Mine will group around 2" at 100 yards, which from an AK is Match rifle accuracy.  It's never jammed, and has that "Never will break" feel to it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2002 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with faris,

Mine has been flawless!

I do believe it to be the best. If I could do it over, i'd buy two!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#3]
The only negatives I've ever heard anybody say about the VEPR II are the non-standard furniture (which was the reason I bought mine, since it's designed for normal sized people, not dwarves, like the stock AK furniture), and the weight (which is a result of the RPK-type receiver.

Accurate, reliable, solid. Excellent gun.

The SLR is easier to convert to standard AK style furniture, but that means replacing the FCG.

Link Posted: 9/2/2002 3:51:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I REALLY LOVE my Bulgie !!

Sadly, they are hard to find now at a price
comparable to the Vepr's.

Here is one for sale on the "other" AK board
for $525

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74840
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 4:52:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't handled a VEPR yet, but I own an SLR-95. The ugly furniture issue is easily resolved. Sure, the easiest way is to replace the FCG (and one other part) with American components, but if you have a nice Bulgie, $70 for an RSA trigger group is a small price to pay for the amount of improvement it brings. My only complaint about the SLR is the lack of a side rail, but even that can be easily resolved.
Bottom line, there are great AK's and there are crappy AK's. Even the crappy ones will get the job done, more or less.

My SLR-95:

Link Posted: 9/2/2002 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#6]
SLR-95 is the one that rocks . No complaints .
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]
After years of collecting and shooting AKs I'm down to one and that is the SLR.

It is very dependable and shoots as good as any assault weapon out there.

I have a feeling that the SLR will be around long after many of my other guns have been retired.  If the SHTF then the SLR will be brought into action very quickly.

The only drawback is it is a little on the heavy side.  I think that in real combat the heaviness will be worth its weight in gold.

All other drawbacks can be easily fixed as mentioned above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top