Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2002 1:01:01 PM EDT
Has anyone here had any experience with scout rifles. I enjoy reading Jeff Cooper's works and the concept of the scout rifle does sound appealing but are they really worth the time and money to have one built. I know Styer and savage make one but one is to expensive and the savage by the time you turned it into a real scout(if possible) you could have one built.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been kicking around the idea of one for a while now.  I had a buddy that had a 10/22 set up with a forward mounted pistol scope and I REALLY liked it.  Seems like I saw some built on an old Enfield action chambered to .308 somewhere pretty reasonable, but can't remember where for the life of me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
There was a company that was making them out of enfields and also painting them. I can't find the page though, hopefully someone else will have it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the outfit you're looking for is Gibbs Rifle Company: http://www.gibbsrifle.com

Pat
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the idea of the scout rifle, but I would much prefer the Springfield M1A Scout to those bolt guns. The purpose of a scout rifle is to be a fast, hard hitting, up close gun. Based on the requirements, I would much rather have something taht fires 20 times as fast as you can squeeze the trigger, as opposed to a 4 or 5 shot bolt gun that is slow to reload. And, these are as cheap or cheaper than many of the Steyre's mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I considered all three of the commonly available Scout rifles.

The Steyr Scout, Savage Scout, and M1A Scout.

The Steyr is very nice, and I will buy one eventually.

The Savage scout is just plane cheap. If you gave me one I would have to spend a fortune just to make it tolerable. New trigger, new stock, bead blast that stupid logo off the bolt, ect..

The M1A Scout is very nice. I bought one, replaced the stock with a USGI surplus. Replaced the cast commercial trigger group with a Forged GI trigger group from the CMP, which Fulton armory did an outstanding trigger job on.  Mounted an early CompM on it in a GG&G aimpoint ring. With Port or Hirt surplus ammo I can hit a CO2 cylender at 250Meters 9 out of 10 times.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#6]
That sounds pretty sweet AR15fan.

I've thought about one of the M1A scouts for a while and the stuff you've done to yours is pretty much what I thought I'd like to do if/when I own one.

Question for ya.

I've read a couple a threads where people talk about switching out cast SA parts for forged GI from CMP.You can order different "parts" seperatly from the CMP?
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The Styer is very overpriced IMHO.  They have come down off the original price of over $2000 and I still think they are overpriced.  I would go for the M1A with a synthetic stock, maybe an Aimpoint on top.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have used a 45-70 Levergun with the Ashley Outdoors Scout Scope Mount and a 2x Scout Scope. I like it, it is very quick to acquire target with. I use a 400 Gr. cast bullet loaded at about 1700 fps and it hits like a truck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I like the idea of the scout rifle, but I would much prefer the Springfield M1A Scout to those bolt guns. The purpose of a scout rifle is to be a fast, hard hitting, up close gun.

Actually, the 'scout' rifle concept as established by Jeff Cooper includes a requirement for a weight of 7 lbs. or under. It's not intended to be a combat arm so much as a general purpose rifle that uses a 'real' cartridge.

pw1.netcom.com/~chingesh/scoutrifle.html
pw1.netcom.com/~chingesh/scoutconference.html#Intro

I have both a Steyr Scout and a SA M1A Scout. As far as .308 Win is concerned, I'd rather carry the Steyr with a high cap mag kit, two 10 round mags and the built in tripod through brush and rough terrain for days on end. The M1A is too heavy without mag and a scope, so I will eventually have it fitted with a GI barrel and trigger group. The Steyr handles better and mounts better IMHO.

BTW I have a Kahles 3X9 on the Steyr.

As far as price? I spent less than $1,300 for each.

If I do find myself in a SHTF/self defense scenario an M4 copy is fast enough for use as an "up close gun".

[Edited to add]

FWIW A scout that winds up in a firefight seems like someone who's in the wrong line of work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like the idea of the scout rifle, but I would much prefer the Springfield M1A Scout to those bolt guns. The purpose of a scout rifle is to be a fast, hard hitting, up close gun.

Actually, the 'scout' rifle concept as established by Jeff Cooper includes a requirement for a weight of 7 lbs. or under. It's not intended to be a combat arm so much as a general purpose rifle that uses a 'real' cartridge.

pw1.netcom.com/~chingesh/scoutrifle.html
pw1.netcom.com/~chingesh/scoutconference.html#Intro

I have both a Steyr Scout and a SA M1A Scout. As far as .308 Win is concerned, I'd rather carry the Steyr with a high cap mag kit, two 10 round mags and the built in tripod through brush and rough terrain for days on end. The M1A is too heavy without mag and a scope, so I will eventually have it fitted with a GI barrel and trigger group. The Steyr handles better and mounts better IMHO.

BTW I have a Kahles 3X9 on the Steyr.

As far as price? I spent less than $1,300 for each.

If I do find myself in a SHTF/self defense scenario an M4 copy is fast enough for use as an "up close gun".

[Edited to add]

FWIW A scout that winds up in a firefight seems like someone who's in the wrong line of work.

All of this sounds good in theory, but you can't pick and choose when a fire fight will occur. If you are to be in bad guy territory, always expect contact. To do otherwise wouldn't be wise. If one didn't expect to make contact, then it wouldn't even be necessary to take a rifle along......that would be even lighter! But that just isn't likely to happen. When in bad guy territory, arm yourself accordingly. IMHO, a slow loading bolt gun is just simply outclassed when up against modern autos.

But all of this is just really what if type stuff anyway. For civilians, the likelihood of actual combat is about nil. So pick whatever you want. Outside the military, I think of a scout rifle as just what most others call a brush gun. A good Marlin lever action chambered in 444 Marlin or 45 Colt and 45/70 would make terrific choices. Great for those fast shots when hunting in brush.

So....for military use, a good quality semi auto like the M1A Scout would IMO be a better choice than a bolt gun. For civilian use, which I assume is what we are talking about....anything will do. Just as long as you like it and it does what you want it to do.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#11]
AR15Fan care to email me a pic of that scout rifle?
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 3:44:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
AR15Fan care to email me a pic of that scout rifle?

Whats your Email address?
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#14]
www.scoutman308.com makes scout rifles on #4 enfields and mausers.  I saw one on gunbroker for $ 750.00.  I don't know anything about the reliabilty of his products.  The one thing I have heard about Enfields converted to .308 is that they have failure to feed malfunctions more so than the Enfields not converted.   I to think the scout rifle is an interesting concept.  I think Cooper's original concept did include the use of stripper clips for the rifle. I don't think the savage is set up for them.  Is the Steyr set up for strippers ?

I've found that the cheapest scout rifle set up available are Gibbs rifles .
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top