Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2002 10:53:38 AM EDT
Wwo, it's been some hellish two months for local gun stores.

1.  A would-be robber attempted to rob Buckhorn Guns of Greenfield, WI.  He was shot 2 or 3 times in his mid-section by the store keeper.  ...  HE ATTEMPTED TO ROB THE PLACE USING A KNIFE!  He will survive and will be charged.  There's a bit of a media blackout <guns = bad here>, but I guess Fox did a story on it.

2.  Some moron brought in two handguns to sell to a different shop.  Both guys behind the counter were busy.  The moron picked up one of his guns and, thinking it wasn't loaded, pulled the trigger.  The .22lr bullet went between both clerks and lodged in the front wall.  Thankfully, no one was hurt.  However, the store owner unloaded the man's guns as he BITCHED HIM OUT PROFUSELY, handed him his pistols, and told the moron never to come back into his establishment.

What next?

Mike
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Rob a gun store with a knife? he's asking to be killed, I think it'd be better off that he gets killed at least one less stupid person to populate the gene pool...
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Geez. . .how in the heck can you pull the trigger without knowing it's loaded?  As for me, I'm so afraid of firing the gun without meaning to that even when I'm SURE it's not loaded, I always check it before dry-firing it.  It's just beyond me that a person could be so careless with a mechanism that's sole purpose is to throw a piece of metal at high velocity.

At least it was only a .22.  Not that much of a chance of that causing a death.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]

That's what you think.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Geez. . .how in the heck can you pull the trigger without knowing it's loaded?  As for me, I'm so afraid of firing the gun without meaning to that even when I'm SURE it's not loaded, I always check it before dry-firing it.  It's just beyond me that a person could be so careless with a mechanism that's sole purpose is to throw a piece of metal at high velocity.

I would hazard a guess and say there at LEAST six major, different areas on the human body that would almost instantly result in death if hit with a standard .22 round.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#5]
About 10 years ago, I went to a gun show in Nashville at the National Guard Armory.  At one of the first tables past the entrance, I asked the owner if I could look at a 9mm auto pistol.  I opened the slide and out popped a 9mm round which I gave to the owner.  The owner, who had watched me, almost fell over - weak in the knees - and repeatedly told me he'd checked all his guns after setting up.  I won't ever know but it was possible someone intentionally loaded the pistol and left it.  There were several instances of that happening then, national wide.

The moral is, always check.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I mean that a .22 bullet has a much lower likelyhood of doing serious damage to a person as a larger, heavier round, such as a 9mm.  Sure it can kill, but it's so small that it's not especially likely to destroy a vital organ or cut open a vein.  Even when mushroomed, they're only about twice their original area.

Basically, if I were to be shot with a gun, I would prefer to be shot with a .22.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's what you think.

I see you are the almost M4orgery LE carbine. Model 6920. I personally prefer the 6520. Its lighter... and they include those nice 20 rounders with the gun....
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]
MOre Americans are killed with .22lr every year then with any other cartridge.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#9]
If that's true, my uninformed guess as to why that would be true is that 1) .22s are the most-used caliber, 2) other calibers aren't normally used in places such as suburbs (I've fired my dad's .22 in our backyard, which is at the edge of a half-mile of woods; in the other direction are many houses about 50-75 feet apart), and 3) .22s are used by kids more than other calibers.  .22s certainly aren't as deadly as, say, .223 or 9mm, or our soldiers would all be armed with .22s.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I mean that a .22 bullet has a much lower likelyhood of doing serious damage to a person as a larger, heavier round, such as a 9mm.  Sure it can kill, but it's so small that it's not especially likely to destroy a vital organ or cut open a vein.  Even when mushroomed, they're only about twice their original area.

Basically, if I were to be shot with a gun, I would prefer to be shot with a .22.

Greenhorn, I can speak from experience (former full time paramedic) and tell you that a .22LR is in fact quite a dangerous round. Unlike many larger caliber weapons the .22 rarely exits the human body thus transferring 100% of it's potential energy into the body. Once inside a human body a light slow round such as the .22LR tends to do funny things like riding bones, ricocheting inside the torso, and stopping dead inside of solid organs. With .22 wounds there is generally little external blood loss but extensive internal loss.

Just something to think about.

Jake
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what you think.

I see you are the almost M4orgery LE carbine. Model 6920. I personally prefer the 6520. Its lighter... and they include those nice 20 rounders with the gun....

LE6920 comes with 2 20 rounders also. The 6520 IIRC is a standard carry handle. I prefer the removable. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

www.ar15.com/images/bioPics/sgb.jpg

Care to elaborate?
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#13]
My understanding is that after entering a person a .22 will ricochet off bones instead of exiting the body.  This can cause the bullet to take a long wandering path through your body increasing the likelihood that it will damage a critical structure like say a major blood vessel or artery.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#14]
would u rather be dead from a .22 or dead from a.44 magnum?   as forest gump would say mama says dead is as dead does,DEAD IS F@#KING DEAD!!

THERE ARE NO CALIBERS OF DEAD. .001 - .500,EVEN THE 105 HOWITZER DEAD IS DEAD!
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
MOre Americans are killed with .22lr every year then with any other cartridge.

... I heard that this was a misnomer
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 3:52:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Unlike many larger caliber weapons the .22 rarely exits the human body thus transferring 100% of it's potential energy into the body.

Jake

And one of the primary reasons for the development of our much loved AR-15's.  The Army (actually ArmaLite) added HV (high velocity) to the SC (small caliber) equation to come up with the 5.56 SCHV round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top