Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2002 6:05:30 PM EDT
Two threads from Spade tonight. What a deal.

So, I finally got to the range with my AR-180B yesterday after two weeks off the line. I had intended to go two weeks ago, and had loaded up a Colt 20 rounder and a Thermold 20 (and brought another Colt 20 with me, but with no rounds in it). The mags sat in the cabinet, and traveled with me to Richmond (didn't get to shoot), which shouldn't be a problem. The mags are loaded with Lake City M193 I got from Eric that has worked perfectly.

So I put in the Colt, pull back the bolt, and the bolt slides over the top of the first round. I pop the mag out, and the first round is BENT right where the brass tapers down. The bullet itself is loose and I can rotate it and it yaws a bit too. I consider myself damn lucky that thing didn't enter my chamber.

Thing is, I look at my rounds when I load them, and I'm pretty sure I would've noticed this.

Could my mag have done this, or hitting it off something while traveling, or was I momentarily stupid and loaded a bent round?

This thread is here because I couldn't decide if it was "Ammo" or "Mag" or what.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
so what did you do. try it again or pack up and go home?

could be bad ammo...which brand?
i have screwed up rounds on a double feed.

this is new to me.
i say load another round and see if it messes it up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The bolt could have whacked the round when it passed over it. I had a number of malfunctions on my old AR15(FTF/FTC)where the bolt failed to completely strip the first round, instead it would dig into the brass case and the other times it failed to chamber after the nose got stuck in the lugs while the bolt slammed into the side of the case, bending a few or putting serious dents in them. This could have happened to you. As 308wood stated, you should try chambering a round a few more times and let us know what the results are. Make sure your mags are seated properly by giving them a good rap on the floorplate after you insert them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
so what did you do. try it again or pack up and go home?

could be bad ammo...which brand?
i have screwed up rounds on a double feed.

this is new to me.
i say load another round and see if it messes it up.

Nope, I stripped out all the rounds I had loaded in both mags and checked them out again. It's Lake City M193. And I fired off 60 rounds that day without a problem. Just that very first one was a problem..

The bolt hitting it while passing over that oneshot mentioned sounds plausible enough. I'll have to watch for that in the future.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd bet the mag wasn't fully seated.  Happened to me.  Was it the Thermelt or the Colt GI?

Arock
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'd bet the mag wasn't fully seated.  Happened to me.  Was it the Thermelt or the Colt GI?

Arock

Colt USGI 20 rounder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top