Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/18/2002 5:10:00 PM EDT
I went to clean my Remington 700 today which was boflaged a couple months back. Anyway I dripped some CLP on the barrel and when I went to wipe it off the paint underneath came off. I didnt mind because I wanted to redo it anyway. So I put CLP all over the barrel and action and let it soak for a couple minutes. I then took an old towl and began to wipe it off. It came off fairly easily and I didnt have to rub hard or anything. After I got most of it off I started to notice shiny spots. To my horror I realized the blueing was coming off along with the paint. Now I have a barrel and action that dont have any boflage and has shiny spots. Not good, I almost cried.

Where can I send this off to be parkerized and what does it cost? What is the finish on a bushmaster AR? Can this be put on my rifle and action?
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 6:09:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 6:12:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2002 6:13:29 AM EDT by marvl]
Schapman,

Rocky Mountain Arms in Longmont, CO does incredible finish work. It's some kind of smooth matte black finish that actually looks nicer than Parkerizing. You might give them a call. They are probably not far from you, Longmont is about 75 miles from Cheyenne.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 12:00:28 PM EDT
Dang.

Sounds like they should change the name of it to "Blowflage."

Out of curiosity, why were you wanting to redo the finish?
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 3:53:33 PM EDT
CLP destroyed the bluing????? I haven't had that experience. Can you confirm that there was no other chemical involved????
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 5:31:21 PM EDT
Oh my god dude,that really sucks!

Sounds like something that would happen on Seinfeld or somethin.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 6:02:50 PM EDT
Try PCS,Inc.
www.angelfire.com/ok5/pcsinc/index.htm. They have prices, pictures, and great specials.

At www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php under reviews check out the comment and pictures.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 1:00:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By buffman:
CLP destroyed the bluing????? I haven't had that experience. Can you confirm that there was no other chemical involved????

The other chemical would be CLP. A drop got on the barrel and when I wiped it off the paint came with is so I decided to remove all the paint with the CLP. This took the blueing with it.

Marvl, thanks for the info. I'm gonna give them a call.

Scott

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 1:11:14 PM EDT
I just called Rocky Mountain Arms and what they do is a Black Teflon finish. Total cost for the entire rifle is $300.
Top Top