Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/14/2002 7:11:53 AM EDT

He built it out of scrap steel, bungee cords and his daughter's old training bike wheels. It is bored for a fuse and will lob a soup can filled with concrete for 500 yards.

Big fun.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 7:26:39 AM EDT
Looks like the perfect thing for ATF serving a no knock warrant.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 7:28:50 AM EDT
Please post photos after he fires this thing a few more times...I have not seen any nasty carnage photos for awhile and I'm starting to go into withdrawl.

BTW...The plate welded onto the end of the tube is a no-no. It should have a plug pinned and welded into it. Also, the wall thickness of the tubing is way undersized...Minimum wall thickness for a (2-3/4"?) bore should be around 1".

DA
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 8:20:53 AM EDT
i will try to post a pic later, but the one i
built has a id of 2 1/4 inches and the wall
thickness is 1/2 inch. i used a piece of hydraulic tube. (found at a local scrapyard)
length of barrel is 24 inches, total length is
30 inches. a plug was pressed into the rear, then pinned in one place and welded. the frame
is constructed of a gutted 3 ton floor jack.
it is a very stout compact cannon. small juice
cans full of wheel weights and concrete work
well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 12:42:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2002 2:32:56 PM EDT by Waldo]

A friend of mine has a black powder cannon that shoots D cell batteries. Good way to get rid of them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 12:53:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Waldo:

A friend of mine has a black powder cannon that shoots D cell batteries. Godd way to get rid of them.

I noticed its been raining batteries lately here in Virginia.....BWAAAAAAAAHHHAAAA
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 7:01:09 PM EDT
Oh man, that is great. I'm all for homeade toys like such, but wow, that is one rusty kaboom waiting to happen. I must say though, those purple bike wheels really add someting to it.....(snicker, snicker, chuckle cough)
:-)

Mike
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 7:57:51 PM EDT
Not sure if it is still available, but in the 1970s Dixie Gun works sold a 3 pound mountain howitzer, on a Civil War Carriage. My dad and 2 other fellows in my small town bought them and after a few drinks late on summer evenings they would signal each other. 1/3 of a lb of black powder is loud, drove the local cops crazy. My brothers and I found that the bore was perfect for a large frozen OJ concentrate can full of concrete, and shot it loaded a few times out on the farm. They don't explode but we still had arty.
Top Top