Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2002 11:12:42 AM EDT
Well, I spent another long lunch at the range down the road.  

I shot 280 rounds of Wolf laquered steel case 55 grain ammo.  

I ran every single round of that ammo through my Bushmaster without a single failure to feed, failure to extract, failure to fire etc.  

I even picked up another case on my way out!  

Cheap ammo that functions...  Oh the humanity!
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Good deal.  Cheap functioning ammo is always a good thing.  Did you do anything different to the gun to make it work?  Like oil the chamber or anything?  Maybe that's a stupid question but I ask because when I tried Wolf once I had a case get stuck and my extractor ripped off a chunk of the case.  It was a bitc# to get the rest of it out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have shot a bunch of it and none of them have jammed and I haven't even had any duds or misfires! weird for such cheap ammo, but it does get dirty I am shooting it out of a mini 14 and it just loves the stuff cant get it to jam, great blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't had the same good results with the Wolf ammo. I went out a while ago with some friends to the range. One have a DPMS, another had a BushMaster and I had my Colts.
Everyone of us had at least one case fail to extract.
We were able to punch the case out with an old brass cleaning rod. Since I shoot in 3-gun matches, I can't take the chance of the hangup. I sold the rest of the ammo. I tried the South African surplus and it won't feed well. Guess I'm stuck buying the USA manufactured ammo.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
fastang50,

No, I don't do anything special.  Well, unless you call misuse and abuse special treatment!

I use a mostly Bushmaster beater rifle.  It's a complete Bushmaster post-ban that sports a GI metal trigger guard.  The A2 upper, charging handle and bolt carrier are also from Bushmaster.  The barrel is an FN A2 govt contour 1X7 chrome lined barrel.  I had to remove the bayonet lug and have a Cav Comp permanently attached to make it post-ban legal.

I clean it with the standard GI cleaning kit and carb cleaner.  I finish the cleaning job by slathering it in Breakfree CLP.  Then I head to the range and load up Sanchez magazines with Wolf.

And the damn thing works!  Go figure...

It's like when I used to pamper and baby my lawn mower.  It would never work.  Then I started to neglect and abuse it, and now it runs great!
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 2:16:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Shoot tons through my AK with no problem. I'm not brave enough to use it in my AR though. I may be paranoid. It does smell kinda funny though...
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Wolf is great stuff!  Accurate enough for plinking, cheap enough to shoot tons of.  And if you have a stuffy nose, about 50 rounds will take care of that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Did you do anything different to the gun to make it work?  Like oil the chamber or anything?

Don't oil your chamber or rounds. It increases boltface thrust.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
my bushy loves wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#10]
About a year ago I bought 1000rds of Wolf 62G to shoot through my .223 AK.  I sold the AK shortly afterwards and wound up shooting the Wolf through my various ARs.  I just finished up the last of it a week ago.

I had absolutely NO problems, even when I rapid fired.  I was not planning to buy anymore except that it worked so well and it was so cheap I will mostly likely change my mind.

To add injury to insult, I mostly fired it using the cheap steel range magazines.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 3:07:28 AM EDT
[#11]
jj

my bushy loves wolf ammo.

mine does too!

PIN, no kidding, as fast as i can shoot it, my EA/Bushmaster eats it!

no problem here, working on shooting a case and a half of it.

colt
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#12]
My Bushmaster gets a diverse diet:
I've gone through one SA battle pack,
500 rds GA Arms "Canned Heat" reloads,
500 rds Barnaul, Russian,
200 rds Q3131a,
and now I'm on the last 100rds of a case of Wolf.

I know a lot of people don't like Wolf, and I may have a problem with it someday, but none so far.
After the first few cleanings, I started only cleaning my Bushmaster every 500rds or so.
The only problems so far have been with a USA mag.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I've seen some Wolf Zinc coated 5.56 ammo at the latest gun show.  I think they understand that their ammo with the laquer coating was clogging up AR chambers and they decided to do something about it.  It's still cheap ammo and I think with the new coating it might just do OK in an AR without causing problems.  Anyone have any experience with this ammo in an AR?
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
When you get the thing REALLY hot, do not let a round "cook" in the chamber.

What does this mean?  I've heard this mentioned numerous times before but don't really know what it refers to.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#15]
"Cooking" a round refers to the practice of allowing a fresh round to remain chambered in a very hot chamber.

For instance, say you've just shot 300 rounds of 5.56mm rapid fire.  Do not chamber a new round and allow it to bake in your rifle's hot chamber.  You could expereince a cook-off.  That's when the heat of the chamber causes the primer and or propellant to fire without any mechanical means (i.e. it goes BANG without pulling the trigger.)  Depending on the number of rounds in the magazine and the heat of the chamber it could continue to go BANG a few more times.

It is also a good practice to lock the bolt to the rear after extended firing.  This will prevent the extractor and ejector springs from prematurely losing their temper.

After I heat up my weapon I generall remove the bolt carrier assembly and charging handle.  I also use a pair of USGI glove shells to remove the handguards before I let the upper cool in the shade.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top