Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2002 7:45:38 AM EDT
Ok I am getting real serious about getting one of these licenses but here are some of my concerns,
1.) I live in california, is a C&R harder to get here?

2.) do I have to do interviews with the police or ATF?

3.) I don't know about you guys but registering with the ATF can make me nervous, will they ever do a suprise raid or search of my home?

4.) does having a CCW help at getting a C&R?
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#1]
1  No, but you can not get pistols unless you are out of state and meet in person.

2 No

3 No suprise raids. You get you choice of where the inspection is done. Their office of your home. I have very seldom heard of them doing inspections. My FFL dealer has a CR. When the ATF did the inspection for the FFl they didn't care about what he bought with the CR only what was bought with the FFl.

4  No

If you don't renew the in 3 years you are not required to maintain your records.

Brownells and Midway give good discounts to CR holders.

Lastly kiss your money good by. It becomes to easy to call up and order guns.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#2]
89hawk nailed it all on the head.

Unless you're a complete moron, it's very hard to get into trouble just by having a C&R.  The biggest stress for me always came when I opened my monthly credit card statement.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#3]
another question, it said on one of the pages you aren't suppose to use the C&R to make a profit.  So does this mean you cant sell a few of the guns in your collection? what are the rules of selling?
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
another question, it said on one of the pages you aren't suppose to use the C&R to make a profit.  So does this mean you cant sell a few of the guns in your collection? what are the rules of selling?

Yes, you can sell from your collection.  You'll probably only make the ATF radar screen if you're selling several guns every month.  If you sell one or two every once in awhile, you have no problems.  IOW, if you're selling part of your collection for the purpose of buying more guns to add to your collection, no problem.

BTW, I just walked a relative in Eureka, CA through the C&R application process.  It's not a big deal.  Go for it and have fun!!

Edited to add:
Just make sure you keep your records (bound book) up to date.  If you are ever inspected by the ATF, which as mentioned is unlikely, you shouldn't have any problems.

Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok I am getting real serious about getting one of these licenses but here are some of my concerns,
1.) I live in california, is a C&R harder to get here?

Getting it is the same from one state to another, using it in PRK is a different story.

2.) do I have to do interviews with the police or ATF?

No.  You have to give a copy of your application to your CLEO (police chief or sheriff) for information only.

3.) I don't know about you guys but registering with the ATF can make me nervous, will they ever do a suprise raid or search of my home?

No. They can look at your collection and/or records once a year, but you can choose to have it done at their place instead of yours.  Rules for a C&R licensee are a lot different from those that apply to a regular storefront FFL.

4.) does having a CCW help at getting a C&R?

No.  They don't have anytbing to do with each other.

-hanko, who's glad to be out of the PRK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top