Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2002 5:44:51 PM EDT
I just received M1A that left Springfield armory on 11/20/90 as a Preban Supermatch. I spoke to someone there to verify this. But this is why I am puzzled. It is not bedded, and the barrel and all the parts except the receiver say TRW? I admit I do not know squat about M1A's. Is this how they left the factory? It does have a great trigger but it seams really light and it does seem to have alot of travel at all. At least not for a 2 stage trigger. I would appreciate any input on this.Also how do you tell if it is a heavy profile barrel? Thanks,
bcr308
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:07:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2002 6:07:26 PM EDT by Hoplite]

Originally Posted By bcr308:
I just received M1A that left Springfield armory on 11/20/90 as a Preban Supermatch. I spoke to someone there to verify this. But this is why I am puzzled. It is not bedded, and the barrel and all the parts except the receiver say TRW? I admit I do not know squat about M1A's. Is this how they left the factory? It does have a great trigger but it seams really light and it does seem to have alot of travel at all. At least not for a 2 stage trigger. I would appreciate any input on this.Also how do you tell if it is a heavy profile barrel? Thanks,
bcr308

Not sure about the specs on a super match but TRW is about as good as USGI parts get for m14 series rifles. The supermatch should be bedded IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:09:04 PM EDT
I have an MI-A Nat'l. Match rifle bought brand new in '87. The stock is definately glass-bedded to the trigger housing group with a brown colored epoxy as is the rearward most part where the receiver meets the stock. It also has the Nat'l Match rear shrouded peep sight as well as marked front sight. Also the gas-adjusting screw is disabled. As I recall, the Super-Match rifles at the time had all this as well as an oversize stock (really noticable) The instruction book warns against dissambly too many times as this will eventually disturb the glass-bedding. Kinda tough for me as we were always taught in ROTC to keep that weapon as clean as a whistle for inspection.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:10:34 PM EDT
Oh, btw, bolt, trigger housing and several other parts on mine are stamped TRW.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:21:12 AM EDT
I take it you were not the original owner.

It's hard to tell without being able to see ther rifle but if that's the case, it sounds like somewhere along the line, someone may have decided to sell the gun, but keep the supermatch heavy stock. I have a rifle with a Supermatch Walnut stock and it is one of the most noticiable features of the rifle. I think it was the ONLY real feature differenting early Supermatches from NM models. I think now the Supermatch comes with a lugged reciever.

Based on your comment re: the trigger it could also be they swapped out the NM trigger group for USGI, then sold the rifle as a "Supermatch" based on having the NM sights.

What about the gas system? NM rifles have unitized gas systems. I'm don't know the correct name for the parts, but if you look at the plate the gas tube passes through, that clips beneath the forward stock you should see the plate attached to the tube in some way. Springfield uses hexscrews to attach the plate part to the gas tube. Fulton welds these part together on their NM rifles. Anyway checking that might help tell if someone has been screwing with what once was a NM rifle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:46:33 AM EDT
Sounds like someone de-supermatched it along the way. If it came from the factory as a Supermatch in 1990, it was bedded, had a 4.5 pound 2 stage trigger, unitized gas system, NM piston and guide, NM hooded sights, etc. There is even a decent chance that the NM sights were NM2A's as opposed to the modified system SA Inc. uses now.

Why would someone do this? Because a real supermatch is a whale of a rifle. The heavy barrel adds a TON of weight to the thing and it becomes non-functional as a field rifle. The glass bedding is also a pain for a field rifle since it makes stripping it for a comprehensive cleaning really unpalatable.

TRW parts are considered top notch kit. Really great QC.

If the barrel is marked TRW it is probably not the original Supermatch barrel (which were typically Douglas). Supermatch heavy barrels are really stout under the handguards, over an inch in diameter almost all the way up to the gas system. A GI chrome lined barrel thins down under the handguards for about a 2 pound weight savings. That's the other thing, a match grade barrel will NOT be chrome lined and will have 6 grooves in a 1 - 10 right had pitch. The GI chrome barrel will have 4 grooves and a different pitch, perhaps 1 in 12 or 1 in 11.

Springfield Inc. unitizes the gas system by drilling through the front band and securing it to the gas cylinder with epoxy and machine screws. This is a hard modification to spot without taking apart the rifle. If the rifle is not bedded, you can strip the barreled action out of the stock and look on the rearward face of the front band, you should see two screw heads there. They wouldn't be there on a GI gas system.

Just sounds like a previous owner decided he really didn't need a Supermatch and opted to convert it to a GI configuration.
Top Top