Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/30/2002 7:47:39 PM EDT
I was reading Gun Tests last night and they were reviewing Varmint AR's, both Rock River and Bushmaster. They were wondering why the handguards aren't flat on the bottom to prevent roll.

Why did they go to the round handguards? It would seem to me the Triangular would work better in a bench/sandbag setting.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 7:50:24 PM EDT
My guess is that it's mostly for logistical purposes. No need for a right and left hand guard. No top and bottom either, they are both the same.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 7:53:55 PM EDT
That makes sense...but I sure love my triangle guards.....lot easier to fold steedy in any position IMHO.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 7:57:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sgtar15:
That makes sense...but I sure love my triangle guards.....lot easier to fold steedy in any position IMHO.

Sgtar15

I was trained on the M-16A1. I prefer the triangular hand guards as well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:04:56 PM EDT
Good point, cutting manufacturing costs wins over utility.

But you think for the extra you pay for a Varminteer, you would get the flat bottom.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:05:44 PM EDT
Do Triangular hand guards fit on A2 models?
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:15:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Colt_45:
Do Triangular hand guards fit on A2 s?

i think so. i am planning on getting some.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:45:04 PM EDT

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:05:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Colt_45:
Do Triangular hand guards fit on A2 models?

Yes, it does. I had some tight fitting problems with mines.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:40:40 PM EDT
ColtShorty, nice rifle! I love it. Is that yours?
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:48:36 PM EDT
Thanks!!! And yes it is, it's a Bushmaster. I just love those triangles!! I wish someone would make some triangle free floaters, that would be way cool!!

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 11:18:50 PM EDT
I too like the way the triangular handguards look and I also have no problem with how they feel. I grew up watching Vietnam War movies and seeing the guns for so long with triangular shaped handguards just kinda makes me favor them. I think they are more handsome. But the A2 styled ones are ok too. I may have to swap out an A2 forend for an A1 sometime just to see how they fit and look, since you can no longer buy SP1's new.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:25:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:I too like the way the triangular handguards look and I also have no problem with how they feel. I grew up watching Vietnam War movies and seeing the guns for so long with triangular shaped handguards just kinda makes me favor them. I think they are more handsome. But the A2 styled ones are ok too. I may have to swap out an A2 forend for an A1 sometime just to see how they fit and look, since you can no longer buy SP1's new.

Heck, just go over to www.northridgeinc.com, plunk down $20 and get the A1 furniture kit. I had to modify the heat shields of the triangular handguards to fit my Dissipator upper, but they fit with no problem.
Top Top