Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/29/2002 9:04:56 AM EDT
I am considering building a two-tone rifle with a DPMS stainless lower receiver and a DPMS stainless heavy-barrel upper receiver assembly. I know there is extra weight with a stainless lower but is there any other advantage or disadvantage to using a stainless steel receiver instead of aluminum?
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:18:51 AM EDT
I picked up a DPMS SS lower about 4 months ago. I am planning to put a Armalite AR15(t) upper on it.

The problem with the SS lower is that the magazine wells are real tight. About half my magazines will not fit. Also I have had to file my safety to get it to work (DPMS lower is at fault here not the safety). I called DPMS about the problems and was told that there is no such thing a a mil-spec AR15 and that I should have expected to file fit the parts.

After having a representative tell me over and over it was my fault not DPMS fault, they stated they would be willing to open the magazine well for me. I asked about turn around time and was told about 6 months. Now I am thinking of dumping the SS DPMS and going with a complete Armalite AR15(T).

DMPS = Daily PMS

Hawaii

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:46:19 AM EDT
I'll probably be getting one for my future Ferret 50 purchase.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:52:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hawaii:
I picked up a DPMS SS lower about 4 months ago. I am planning to put a Armalite AR15(t) upper on it.

The problem with the SS lower is that the magazine wells are real tight. About half my magazines will not fit. Also I have had to file my safety to get it to work (DPMS lower is at fault here not the safety). I called DPMS about the problems and was told that there is no such thing a a mil-spec AR15 and that I should have expected to file fit the parts.

After having a representative tell me over and over it was my fault not DPMS fault, they stated they would be willing to open the magazine well for me. I asked about turn around time and was told about 6 months. Now I am thinking of dumping the SS DPMS and going with a complete Armalite AR15(T).

DMPS = Daily PMS

Hawaii

How much do you want for the lower? I'll just surface broach the magwell to open it up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 12:25:45 PM EDT
my sst lower had a tight magwell and dpms fixed it for free and returned it promptly. i've put together 2 of their lowers and havn't had any out of spec parts. a heavier rifle has less felt recoil and is easier to balance. the otherwise weak points in a lower can only be stronger built with stainless steel. i have one, i'm satisfied..as for hawaii..
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:33:52 PM EDT
I have built several guns with their lowers and have never had a problem. I had just never heard of a steel AR-15 receiver before. I think it will make a good-looking gun and should shoot well with one of their heavy-barrel uppers that already has the stainless barrel with free-float handguards. I always buy my parts and uppers from Brownell's and have never had a problem. I don't know if there's a better parts place out there or not.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:52:31 AM EDT
My SS lower is going up for sale at the local gun show is September. I would rather it be a private sale ( I will disclose the DPMS problems).

inferno715 - I glad to hear you like your SS.

Hawaii
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 3:54:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hawaii:
I called DPMS about the problems and was told that there is no such thing a a mil-spec AR15 and that I should have expected to file fit the parts.

After having a representative tell me over and over it was my fault not DPMS fault....

Hawaii

What a crock! I've had a DPMS lower that was out of spec which I fixed myself, and a DPMS lower kit which I couldn't fix. There *ARE* mil-spec lowers and parts, it's just that DPMS doesn't seem to be able to consistently produce them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 4:39:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/30/2002 4:41:26 PM EDT by PINGi3]
My high-power match rifle is built on a DPMS stainless lower.

I first ordered their black finished stainless lower. I waited six months. Every time I called DPMS they assured me that my order was shipped - or about to be shipped. Then I called Brownell's. They sent me a copy of the letter that DPMS sent to them which stated, in part, that black finished lowers would not ship in the near future due to problems with their subcontractor. So I ordered a raw stainless one.

In order to assemble it I had to do a lot more "fitting" than is even need with say... an Oly product! But in the end it all came together quite nicely.

However I will never order from DPMS again. I once heard it said that DPMS stands for Depressingly / Permanently back-ordered / Mediocre / Stuff.

Hmmm... Makes you wonder.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 4:50:34 PM EDT
I have one on my DPMS-built rifle. The rifle is about 3-4 months old. I have had absolutely NO problems with the lower.

The lower isnt much heavier than normal.

If you want a STRONG lower, SST is the way to go. One of my biggest concerns with aluminum lowers is the area just above the grip right under where the buffer tube is connected. If you dropped the rifle 'just right', I'm guessing it could break there.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 7:00:14 PM EDT
I just ordered one yesterday, should be here in about a week. I do like the two tone look, it will compliment my 24in stainless bull barrel very well. We shall see about any fitting problems.

By the way, Hawaii, were those GI mags, aftermarket or thermolds?
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:57:46 PM EDT
Business must be too good for all of the AR-type companies. I haven't found one yet with good customer service. I attended the Armalite armorer school and it took about 3 months and numerous phone calls to even get a certificate of attendance. Another officer had a rifle on order from them and after numerous promised delivery dates had passed, he finally cancelled the rifle altogether. The few dealings I've had with DPMS have been good so I hate the bad reviews you guys are talking about. Thanks for the information.
Top Top