Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2002 7:03:37 AM EDT
I’m just a beginner so please be gentle. This is my first post here so if it’s in the wrong place, forgive me. I handled an AR 15 for the first time last week and now I have to have one. The guy selling keeps talking about “pre-ban.” I understand what it means, but is it worth about double what I can buy a “post-ban” AR for?

I would appreciate any info.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:13:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/26/2002 7:14:30 AM EDT by 5subslr5]

Originally Posted By flyfisher100:
I’m just a beginner so please be gentle. This is my first post here so if it’s in the wrong place, forgive me. I handled an AR 15 for the first time last week and now I have to have one. The guy selling keeps talking about “pre-ban.” I understand what it means, but is it worth about double what I can buy a “post-ban” AR for?

I would appreciate any info.

f. fisher,
first, WELCOME to the board !!

There's no one set answer to your question. If you plan to have only one AR-15 type weapon, you might consider getting a preban. With a little careful shopping, and some help for your friends, you should be able to find a preban for around $1000 - probably with a couple of preban 20-round mags.

Now if you're susceptible to the "Black Rifle" disease, doesn't really matter which one you get FIRST !!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:27:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/26/2002 7:29:17 AM EDT by falkaveli]
How's it going flyfisher. Don't feel bad. I'm a newbie also. This is how I see it (with my newbie brain):

A pre-ban rifle will hold its value more and may have some interesting features like a telescoping (collapsable) stock, bayonet lug, and a flash hider. Personally, I would go with (and I went with) a post-ban. You can pick yourself up a Mil-Spec Post-ban Bushmaster www.bushmaster.com for much less than a preban and you will have a hell of a weapon. And unless you are gonna be participating in night-time close quarters combat with a fixed bayonet then you will not be missing any features from a pre-ban. Save your money and your time and go with a post-ban. You can use any high capacity Pre-Ban mags in your postban also, so don't think you're gonna get caught shooting 10rd mags for the rest of your life. Also, any gunsmithing you get done on a preban will usually cost more (i.e. getting a new barrel put on, etc.). If prebans came in full auto then it would be worth it. But until all liberals take a 10 year nap then they wont, so stick to the post-ban.
P.s. For some good prices check out www.aimsurplus.com. You will have to get it transfered through a local FFL (Federal Firearm's License Holder). It will usually cost about 30 bucks or so. Good Luck with everything.

If you AR15 veterans have a different opinion, feel free to attack me.
Top Top