Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2002 12:07:57 PM EDT
Hello all, I assume that we do have some people here from Canada or people who might want to or/and are able to contribute to this topic:

I will propably (well almost definately) be living in Canada in about 2 years or so so here goes: What would be th ebest gun for self defense in Canada where the laws are messed up: 5 rd. capacity? Does this apply to shotguns too? Its weird because the 14 inch shotguns on TheSHootignEdge.com are listed as unrestricted and same with the 20 incher with full length magazine meaning it should hold about 8 rds. So what can I get and what should I get for:

Living in an apartment in a highly urban area. Possibly owning my own floor but an apartment nonetheless. You see? Should I just get the Ruger 10/22 (how come you can legally use 30 rounders for those in Canada?) and just blast 'em away with .22's? Or the shotgun with bird shot provides serious firepower? Bolt action Enfield rifle? LOL No, the SIG PE90 would be a waster of money and an expensive paperweight out there. 5 rounds of .223 aint convincing.

SIG out,

The SIGer
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Why will you be moving to Canada?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not a lawyer, but it is my understanding that no one can own a firearm for self defense in Canada without special circumstances.

I don't even think I'm allowed to own a fork, if it can be proven that I own it for the purpose of self defense.  

<sarcasm>Keep in mind that Canada is perfectly safe in every way, and if you ever do need protection, the RCMP can sense danger, and move at the speed of light, so you should have no need to ever protect yourself.</sarcasm>
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Please sir, I know that lots of people have guns in Canada. They have whole arsenals there. Now, cut out the BS AND TELL ME!

Yes, people do have arsenals.  However, in Canada, you have to specify a reason for obtaining a firearms license.  Self defense is not a valid reason, or so says the law.

Stormbringer would be able to give you a dissertation on this subject.  I suggest emailing him.

EDIT:  The Big Book of Canadian Gun Laws
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Dogg, I believe 'Striker' is a genuine Canadian so you might go directly to him.  Very knowledgable guy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If you like, you could get a ruger mini-14(since you are probably a .223 man). These are non-restricted up here. The ARs are restricted and require permits which only allow you to bring em to the range or a gunsmith(and if you are caught on a "non-direct" route, you might find yourself in hot water).
SKS rifles are also non-restricted.
By the way, you are allowed folding stocks on mini-14s and SKS rifles up here. Both are shitty little guns, but they're non-restricted.
Hope that helps.
Take care my American friend.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Now that I am on it, m1 garands flourish up here and you are allowed an 8-round capacity on these in Canada(they are classified as a historic rifle). M1As are also allowed(5rd only).
If you want to be politically correct(to be Canadian, you MUST be, no other choice), why not learn some badass form of jujitsu, and just karate chop the bad guys!
The authorities would confiscate your guns if you ever used them in self-defence. By law, force must meet force, and Canadian law regards the good ole gun as too much force!
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Here in Canada Shotguns are the way too go for self defense, get a license first.  If you use the weapon for self defense on your own property and don't take out any neighbors you will probably be O.K. but the the authorities will still try too lay charges depending on what the other guy had and what way the political winds are blowing?  But if you are in full compliance with all the laws and "rules of engagement" all the better for you.  The reason why 10/22's can use 30-50+ rd. mags is that there are no restrictions on rimfire capacity, just centerfire and all pistols have restrictions on capacity.

The Canadian firearm laws change every time there is a political will "to do something".
Hopefully by the time you get here all these confusing laws will be history, but I am not holding my breath.

Welcome too Canada!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#8]
First of all what Does MYOB stand for.

second I too will be moving to Canada in the future. From Detroit to Windsor. Since thats where my wife is from. Its not that much of a move for me. Well when I get my paperwork straight I plan on buying one of these.

theshootingedge.com/tse/firearms/swissarmsguns/bluestar.html

I plan on using this as a (Cough Cough) Sporting rifle and target rifle.  I dont want to have to go thru the hassle to get a AR but that thing is pretty cool too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
First of all what Does MYOB stand for.

second I too will be moving to Canada in the future. From Detroit to Windsor. Since thats where my wife is from. Its not that much of a move for me. Well when I get my paperwork straight I plan on buying one of these.

theshootingedge.com/tse/firearms/swissarmsguns/bluestar.html

I plan on using this as a (Cough Cough) Sporting rifle and target rifle.  I dont want to have to go thru the hassle to get a AR but that thing is pretty cool too.

Hey just get a Springfield Garand in .308 that ought to be legal. That PE90 costs a lot. Wilson COmbat CQB first then that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#10]
MYOB- marinate your own beef?

Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#11]
The best bet is the Sigbluestar at shooting Edge. Its a very nice sig 551 type rifle. It is also unrestricted or you can get a m96 unrestricted to. For restricted go for a shorty m4 carbine with a 11 or 14 barrel with 3 position stock and a vortex flashhider.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey Sigbluestar do you have one of those rifles? Also whats a m96.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Get a sword.  Or a prospector's hammer.  Or an ax.  Or a baseball bat.  Or a nice stout shovel.  Or a sturdy trowel. None of them need to be stored unloaded separately from ammunition in a locked box with trigger locks etc.  They are completely unregulated & might not lead to automatic confiscation of your guns if they have to be used in self defence.

Edited to add that any of these are poor substitutes for any gun, but then again any home invader can have them at your doorstep faster than you can fiddle with your locks/loading etc.  Keep the manual stuff handy & use it to fight your way to a real weapon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top