Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2002 4:59:21 AM EDT

Can anyone tell me about this rifle?
Is the 18" barrel sufficient for good accuracy? What would the optic choices be? Anyone own one? I like it....always loved carbines. What's the word on this particular M1A?
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:10:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had one for about a year, the wood stock version.  I alternate between a Leupold Gilmore Red Dot and a Leupold Vari- X III 4.5-14 x 50 with an illuminated recticule on a Springfield mount.  At the distances that I shoot, out to 300 yds, I can't tell any difference.  Take into consideration that I am not a very good shot.  I'll never get rid of it..unless I have to cary it a long way...
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Well M4 I'll give it a shot after I saw your post about no one being much help. Tests I've seen often report better accuracy from these carbines over the standard rifle, basically shorter stiffer barrell less affected by vibration of gas system. Optics wise any "dot type" or extended eye relief scope  would mount on the foward rail, but the iron sights are good enough on M14/M1As I'd stick with them. With the shorter sight radiusI would stick a NM front on there .
From handling some of these, they are sweet. If my full length M1A ever needs company, it will be one of these, the balance and feel is pretty nice. HTH.    
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I've owned one for about a year. Black synthetic stock with the military butt cap instead of the factory recoil pad. Although I have an Aimpoint I could mount on it, I prefer the iron sights. Never thought about mounting a bipod.

Out of the box it shot nice groups at 100 yds. On a 100 yd tin can range it was a lot more impressive than my AR fending off full 1 gallon water bottles. Took a little while to figure out how the action came apart for cleaning: 1) brand new the parts were tight; 2) Despite what you may have heard there are some minor differences between the Springfield Armory, Inc M1A and the GI M14.

Getting the mags in and out of the mag well takes some getting used to if your used to the AR-15 system.

It's too heavy to classify as a carbine. IT's SA Inc's entry into the 'scout' rifle class.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I went to SA's website, they also have an "M1A Bush rifle" that appears to be the same sans forward mounted scope rail.  The "Bush" rifle also appears to have the original flash hider that I prefer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#5]
M4
 My next purchase is going to be a m1a.  I'll probley go with the scout since i have my rem 700 for range.

tnrifleman
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:33:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Sloper10,9.2 pounds for a Scout Vs 8.7 pounds for a standard M16A2 aint much of a weight diffrence.Yes ammo weighs more in 7.62 than 5.56.
I own a Busmaster XM15 20 incher with the picatinny rail and carrying handle and a M1A standard theres not much diffrence in weight.
Ill tell you this the M14 type rifles have awesome iron sights way better than the M16 type weapons.
I like my Bushmaster alot,but i love my M1A the most.I shoot my M1A more and i really think i have become more proficiant with it.
My next endevour will be a Garand in .308.Ya its Blaphemy who cares.

I believe the reason why the scouts are more accurate is because they have 6 grooves of rifling compared to 4 grooves for the standard.And the scouts barrel is not chrome lined thats gonna help accuracy a bit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:50:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I am pretty much an HK or Colt man,

but I must admit the M1A Scout blows my HK-91 away.  Accuracy and recoil was much better with the Scout than my HK.  If you're comfortable with how it comes apart & needs grease vs. oil then go for it.  I sold mine off & regret it....

Moral of the story, don't ever ever sell a gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:01:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Is the 18" barrel sufficient for good accuracy? What would the optic choices be? Anyone own one? I like it....always loved carbines. What's the word on this particular M1A?

The 18" barrel is sufficient for good accuracy.

I spoke with Springfield about this rifle maybe four or five months ago.  Per SA, they were getting good play from the LEO community.  Probably due to the compact design but then that's what attracts me too.

This rifle is on my I'm-gonna-wait-until-I-get-some-real-user-feedback list but I've got to admit I'm attracted and I'm not much of a standard M1A1 fan.  (When I buy I'll not be getting the pod as this rifle should be handy and quick.)

I can't shoot for schit with iron sights but at present I don't have a clue as to which optics may be best.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#9]
usmc0311,

I think you're comparing a M16A2 with sling & loaded 30-rd mag to an empty Scout. My manual says 7.8 lbs for an empty M16A2. Not trying to before smart. Just what M4 to get an apple-to-apple comparison.

I have the std M1A & love it, but I still have a preference for the Black Rifle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I own an Hk91, an Armalite AR-10(T) and 3 M1-A's.  I love them all.  Out of all my .308's, i'd say my AR-10(T) is THE most accurate of the bunch.  

Followed by the Springfields.  I was surprised to see that the M1-A's are slightly more accurate and hold tighter groups than the Hk.  Oh well, I love them all.

My scout M1-A is slightly more accurate than my standard M1-A.  Maybe because of the shorter barrel and vibration thing etc...

But, the Scout is not as accurate as my higher grade "match" M1-A's....

Yet the Scout is not a gun designed for bench rest shooting.  It's made for a more compact "battle" rifle when circumstances dictate.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Got one a week ago and man, I was impressed when I fired the first mag. The recoil was cosiderable LESS than a friends full size. It is one sweet shooting gun, too soon for me to give you any real info as I have only put 40 rounds downrange so far.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I want, no, I need one of these!!  I have never seen a carbine at the gunshow though.  How much would one expect to pay for just a base model (no optics or anything)?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I love mine would probably be the first thing I grab if shit hits the fan. Mine has a wood stock and 1.5X Burris EER scope. Yes its heavier than an AR 10lbs empty but who cares its an M1. I have no qualms with its accuracy but I cant really compare it to my Springfield/Fulton. I see them selling for 999-1199.00 well worth it IMO. I would say buy one shoot it. If you dont like it you can sell it for very close to what you paid for it. I am a die hard M1 fan and AR's are fun but not as much.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe this is a dumb question,but I'll ask anyway.

You guys think this weapon would make a good SPR type?Supposedly the 5.56 SPR is pinpoint too 600 yards.Would the scout be usable at these distances?Say if you sent the trigger group of to Fulton Armory and used match ammo?

I know the obvious answer is buy a tricked out fullsize M1A,but I am partial to the looks and swingability of chopped guns.And I like the Idea of saving as many ounces as possible,so I wouldn't consider putting a bunch of heavy acutriments like target stock.....ect.Just basic  technics too bring out the inherant accuracy in these rifles.

Everyone mentions the good outta the box accuracy.What does that mean?1 moa-1/2 moa?

I do love the looks and idea of this rifle.

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Is the muzzle brake worth the noise?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#17]
1.5 and 2 inch accuracy should be the norm,i can hit well past 500 yards repeatedly with my standard.
Muzzle Breaks are loud no matter,however i really cant hear no diffrence between a AR15 or an M1A as far as decibels are concerned.The wake of the round is deeper with a 7.62 than the crack of the 5.56.

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can't shoot for schit with iron sights but at present I don't have a clue as to which optics may be best.

Well, you'll be getting either a Burris or Leupold optical Scout scope, or perhaps a dot or a reflex.  The latter two would sort of defeat the Scout rifle concept, though.

As far as the scope, I would definitely get a heavy reticle, and I suggest that you resist the temptation to buy the highest possible magnification on the scope.  The concept works best when there is not too much difference between the scope's magnification and the un-aided eye.  However, this a matter of the individual's eyes, so YMMV.

Agreed on low mag scope.

Wes Grant (MSTN) tells me I really don't need the Nightforce NSX 5.5-22X56mm on my Chipmunk !
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I want, no, I need one of these!!  I have never seen a carbine at the gunshow though.  How much would one expect to pay for just a base model (no optics or anything)?

I bought mine for $1100. Now I am saving for my Leupold Scout scope.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Maybe this is a dumb question,but I'll ask anyway.

You guys think this weapon would make a good SPR type?Supposedly the 5.56 SPR is pinpoint too 600 yards.Would the scout be usable at these distances?Say if you sent the trigger group of to Fulton Armory and used match ammo?

I do love the looks and idea of this rifle.

Match up your bullet weight to the barrel twist and this rifle should be effective to 600 yards.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#21]
What is MSTN? got a link?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I bought mine for $1100. Now I am saving for my Leupold Scout scope.

I've seen this gun for about $1450, no less. Are you sure you got the "Scout" model for $1100?? If you did and they have more please point me in their direction.. :)
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
What is MSTN? got a link?

Byron, I've got it.....now I'll go find it !
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Thats not funny.[>Q]

See below........
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#25]
It should be full auto. The barrel is too long. It should have a suppresser.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top