Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/20/2002 3:19:29 AM EDT
I've loved westerns since I was old enough to watch TV and every time I go to the gun store I
can't stop looking at all those cool cowboy pistols in the gun cases.
I would really like to own one, but have no clue about them.
What should I be looking for?
What's the difference of regular ammo vs "cowboy ammo"?
Any and all advice on this would be helpful.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:47:09 AM EDT
Go to http://sassnet.com/ it's the Single Action Shooting Society homepage...totally great organization...and they love to play cowboys...I've belonged for several years...they have regional meets and state organizations...most all states have local meets
if you like cowboy guns you'll love this.
Beauford Thirsty Drygulch #8633
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:29:11 AM EDT
From what little I know, cowboy loads have a lighter loading for the competitions. The Ruger Vaquero seems to be the best buy in sixguns for cowbuy action shooting. HTH
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:43:43 AM EDT
The Colt SAA pistols are the best investment for "value" over a long period of time...plus, they are THE western single-action. The Ruger Vaquero is probably the best overall SHOOTING VALUE for cowboy shooting. They are actually built a bit better than the Colt in some people's opinion.

The 45 Long Colt is the caliber you'll want. Lots of BANG and power, but it's not going to kill your wrists over the long haul like the magnums. A 4 5/8" barrel is nicest "quick draw" type of barrel, but quick draw IS NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL unless you are using blanks, have the proper rig (read, "Chicken Plate" for protection), and really the right pistol (that is to say, a stock pistol can not handle quick draw abuse). Don't forget, many people every year get hurt or killed from trying quick draw with pistols (all kinds) because they are STUPID and are using real ammo, improper equipment, and are basically morons.

You'll love the single-action revolver. They are very nice to hold and shoot...and take you back to yesteryear.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:54:54 PM EDT
Thanks btdrygulch, arbob & Tailgate!

Top Top