Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2002 5:08:09 AM EDT
What are some good things to do to improve one's accuracy when shooting offhand from a standing position? Does strengthing the arms (as in weight training) help? Any tips on improving my stance?

I've been shooting my Garand offhand and enjoy it a lot, but the rifle is relatively long and heavy, and is hard for me to hold steady. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:41:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2002 5:42:09 AM EDT by 5subslr5]
marvl,
it has been a while but I have shot the Garand a few times.
Strength training will definitely help as would aerobics training - slower heart beat

You see, one of the reasons the AROCK is such a successful 50 cal shooter is that he has no heart and is, therefore, as steady as a-rock.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:05:53 AM EDT
Are you using a sling? - that would definitely help alot.

And while a Ching Sling is not as stable as a military style, its a whole lot faster.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:22:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2002 7:30:22 AM EDT by Scary]

Originally Posted By marvl:
I've been shooting my Garand offhand and enjoy it a lot, but the rifle is relatively long and heavy, and is hard for me to hold steady. Thanks.

If this is in reference to target shooting/bullseye competition type:

The first thing is to get in the mindset of NOT trying to hold the gun steady. When shooting offhand, or any other position, you need to find your natural point of aim (where does the wpn point when relaxed?). Then you adjust your natural point of aim, by moving the whole body, to the center of your target. There will be slight movement of the weapon, but this is natural... it's called your "wobble area". If you keep perfect sight alignment, and "shoot through the movement" your shot will be center.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:29:08 AM EDT
I hope that helps...

tactical shooting is obviously different
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:57:51 AM EDT
Thanks. Another question. Assuming a righthanded shooter, do you hold the left upper arm against the body or out away from it. Logic seems to indicate tht holding it in close against the body provides a more stable "platform," on the other hand, it doesn't feel like a particularly natural position.

Any good books on this subject?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 10:42:58 AM EDT
I remember watching a show a few years back about a world-champ rifle shooter.

During one of his shoots, this show hooked up a small laser to track is "wobble area".

They traced the laser and it reveiled his wooble area was a PERFECT "infinity" symbol.

The muzzle moved back and forth perfectly like horizonal figure eight. (a small figure eight to say the least)

So the trick is to master your wobble area.

I would think weight training would help, but only to a certain point.
Just like basketball players, lifting to much weight will mean you have to adjust your form.

Link Posted: 7/19/2002 10:55:37 AM EDT
I just found a neat fact I found in a medical dictionary I was browsing through.

"The heartrates of athletes involved in strenious training may drop as low as 35 bpm while resting".

All I can say is WOW. Think how good of a shot you could be with that heartrate?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 11:00:25 AM EDT
assuming youre right handed, pull your left hand in closer on the forearm, and rest your elbow on your side just above the hip.
also, watch your point of aim as it moves. wait, then shoot when it's on target.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 11:13:32 AM EDT
fyi..lance armstrong's resting heart rate is 32-34 bpm.
pat
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:35:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By marvl:
What are some good things to do to improve one's accuracy when shooting offhand from a standing position? Any tips on improving my stance?

Practice!

Actually, the Garand is more than likely too light for you. I had the same problems you are having, even had a miss or 2 in each 20 shot string until I loaded my AR with lead. Now it weighs about 14lbs and the only gun I have trouble holding steady is the Garand! Adding lead was responsible for at least a 20pt increase in my scores.
I don't know how your going to add weight to the forearm of the Garand. I'd start using an AR if your serious.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:02:06 PM EDT
Come out to highpower or metallic silhouette matches or practices. The shooters there will give some great advice. If you realllllyyyyy want to get better, buy a decent air rifle, several thousand pellets and shoot daily.

SRM
Top Top