Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2002 6:16:43 AM EDT
Was thinking about putting a suppressor on my Mech-Tech carbine unit (45acp). Just thread the barrel to the same thread as the suppressor I want and screw it on...
But my question......is it legal????

I think it would be an awesome little setup!!!!

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:29:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2002 6:37:48 AM EDT by 5subslr5]
Twelve (12) posts and a topic for idiots - congratulations.

You can bet your sorry, trolling ass your suppressor* will be illegal unless you procure the proper approvals.

For further advice, call your attorney.

(*Flash suppressor on a postban is just illegal but a sound suppressor can be acquired if the proper approvals are obtained.
But you already knew all this.)

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:36:26 AM EDT
Weeelll... assuming you're talking about a legal suppressor..

I don't think it would be, since you'd effectively be creating an AW.

QS
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:38:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2002 6:41:28 AM EDT by NUCULAR]
But to answer your question. As long as you can legally acquire a suppressor in TX, i think this setup would be perfectly legal. I'm still looking into this. I have an officer's i was going to attempt to put a gemtech can on (it's still going thru the paperwork process) and then if that didnt work, I was going to get the mech-tech and thread it. I decided to just order a full size 1911 instead. Before the suppressor gets here, i'll just put in a threaded barrel. Maybe i'll still do the mech-tech after that. Only problem is, .45 doesn't gain much from the extended barrel except for the better sight radius. Maybe in that .465 caliber or whatever it is...

-Nuke

Edited to add - i think quietshooter may be right about the AW thing. this AW crap is really annoying.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:05:15 AM EDT
5subslr5,

I was talking about a legal suppressor...paperwork & tax (I have a subgun AND suppressor form 4's pending with the ATF as I type this). I am not a troll/ATF/FBI or any other representative of any alphabet agency....but I am a Texas Peace Officer...Investigator in a county Sheriff's Dept. Crime Scene Unit, to be exact. Besides leaving out that I was intending to attached a LEGAL suppressor, I do not believe my question was out of line. I have never been accused of being a troll or ever trying to 'catch' anyone doing anything illegal on any board I frequent.

You guys have gotten awful jumpy!

Now 5subslr5...can you give me an intelligent answer???
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:11:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 5subslr5:
(*Flash suppressor on a postban is just illegal but a sound suppressor can be acquired if the proper approvals are obtained.
But you already knew all this.)

That is incorrect. A sound suppressor on a post-ban effectively acts as a flash suppressor, and is therefore a nono.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Top Top