Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2002 6:16:43 AM EDT
Was thinking about putting a suppressor on my Mech-Tech carbine unit (45acp). Just thread the barrel to the same thread as the suppressor I want and screw it on...
But my question......is it legal????

I think it would be an awesome little setup!!!!

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:29:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Twelve (12) posts and a topic for idiots - congratulations.

You can bet your sorry, trolling ass your suppressor* will be illegal unless you procure the proper approvals.

For further advice, call your attorney.

(*Flash suppressor on a postban is just illegal but a sound suppressor can be acquired if the proper approvals are obtained.  
But you already knew all this.)

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Weeelll... assuming you're talking about a legal suppressor..

I don't think it would be, since you'd effectively be creating an AW.

QS
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#3]
But to answer your question.  As long as you can legally acquire a suppressor in TX, i think this setup would be perfectly legal.  I'm still looking into this.  I have an officer's i was going to attempt to put a gemtech can on (it's still going thru the paperwork process) and then if that didnt work, I was going to get the mech-tech and thread it.  I decided to just order a full size 1911 instead.  Before the suppressor gets here, i'll just put in a threaded barrel.  Maybe i'll still do the mech-tech after that.  Only problem is, .45 doesn't gain much from the extended barrel except for the better sight radius.  Maybe in that .465 caliber or whatever it is...

-Nuke

Edited to add - i think quietshooter may be right about the AW thing.  this AW crap is really annoying.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#4]
5subslr5,

I was talking about a legal suppressor...paperwork & tax (I have a subgun AND suppressor form 4's pending with the ATF as I type this). I am not a troll/ATF/FBI or any other representative of any alphabet agency....but I am a Texas Peace Officer...Investigator in a county Sheriff's Dept. Crime Scene Unit, to be exact. Besides leaving out that I was intending to attached a LEGAL suppressor, I do not believe my question was out of line. I have never been accused of being a troll or ever trying to 'catch' anyone doing anything illegal on any board I frequent.

You guys have gotten awful jumpy!

Now 5subslr5...can you give me an intelligent answer???
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:11:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
(*Flash suppressor on a postban is just illegal but a sound suppressor can be acquired if the proper approvals are obtained.  
But you already knew all this.)

That is incorrect.  A sound suppressor on a post-ban effectively acts as a flash suppressor, and is therefore a nono.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top