Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2002 5:17:47 PM EDT
Ok so its a basic dumbass question..

However....I just cannot get it right.

If I hold where I consider it to be comfortable....I cannot hit shit!!

If I hold with my nost just touching the charging handle....I am bang on!

WTF!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as your rear site, front site, and target are all in a line, you will hit center of the target.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as it's comfortable for you and you're hitting where you're aiming, I would say however you are holding it is 'right'.

Whatever works for you.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#3]

As long as it's comfortable for you and you're hitting where you're aiming, I would say however you are holding it is 'right'.

Whatever works for you

I agree.

However, in the USArmy ('87-'91) the Drill Sgt's said, "get that nose up against the charging handle!"

it still works for me, 15 years later and shootin' semi auto AR-15's.

colt
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys..

The sad thing is that I teach my clubs junior rifle team!!  I should know better but I just cannot seem to hit with my AR off my nose!

Mind you I have the least amound of trigger time on my AR compared to my FN, AK or Daewoo.

Perhaps I should just get to know it better??  AWE SHUCKS!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#6]
[smartass]i ussually hold my AR with my hands[/smartass]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#7]
What putting your nose tip on the charging handle does, is it puts your head and eye in the same spot each time, thereby ensuring consistency with eye/rear sight/ft. sight alignment.

I don't find it comfortable at all, but it works.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ok so its a basic dumbass question..

However....I just cannot get it right.

If I hold where I consider it to be comfortable....I cannot hit shit!!

If I hold with my nost just touching the charging handle....I am bang on!

WTF!!

In NRA High Power competition that is how most shooters hold it. Mostly because it gets your eye closest to the rear sight aperture.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#9]
So in a competition it would be fine them?

But what about a tactical situation.....??

I am thinking I need to train for a new position
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#10]
My eye relief leaves my nose very close to the charging handle though not quite touching it. With my M-1 and M-14S my nose is very close to the heal of the reciever. I just get the best sight picture that way.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:06:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info guys. I was doing it with my nose against the charging handle and was positive this had to be wrong. Now I know how to pick out the CMP people, they are the ones with the red noses.

Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:09:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Why?  

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I'm new to ARs/Rifles in general but I don't really see how 'choking up' on your rifle would be a tactical disadvantage.  I don't stick my nose on the charging handle but I come pretty darn close.  It's comfortable for me and it makes it easier for my crappy eyes to get a good sight picture.

If anything, I would think that pulling the rifle that close to your body would be a more sturdy stance.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Marksmanship principles are even more important in a tactical situation. that is why you would use the same basic principles and firing positions that you practice on the range. If you can get the basics of M16 marksmanship down at the range then you should use the same in combat. The only thing that will vary is the terrain and your cover, the rest is the same basic marksmanship principles you should be practicing at the range, which when applied properly with the M16/AR15 weapons platform produce deadly results. I agree with CAMPYBOB on dry firing. We call it snapping in, basically you put up mini targets ata set point, each target varied in size to simulate different distances, then you practice getting into each of the four basic shooting positions, dry firing at the targets, don't forget mag changes to keep it natural. This will greatly improve your sight alignment/sight picture as well as trigger control, cheek-weld and other attributes necessary to achieve great marksmanship skills. Range time should follow a week of snapping in, you will be guaranteed better results if you do this with any weapon.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I hold my Bushmasters lovingly...
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#15]
First off - Practice makes perfect. Put that nose on your charging handle every time and you will usually hit what you are aiming at. I don't know all the reasons why, it just does. Trust us.
As far as tactical shooting is concerned, practice shooting with both eyes open. You will get a better sense of your sourrondings and be able to maneuver without stumbling over objects you couldn't see with just one eye. Any hostile target further than 100 yards, go prone and close your left eye (assuming you are right handed).
Last but not least - When you are trying to shoot from waist level, grab the handguard with your left thumb pointed toward the target. This also works well with pistolgrip pump shotguns. Also, it helps just practicing aiming you left thumb at stuff alot when you're just getting started. It takes some practice, but once mastered you can usually hit paper out to 50 yards, plus it's a lot of fun. This , of course, is not so good if there are objects within 5 or 10 feet of target you may not want to have a hole in until you have mastered this technique.
If you like these ideas try 'em out at the range with LOTS of ammo. 30-50 rounds prone out to 300 yards, 30-50 rounds both eyes open out to 100 yds, and 30-50 rounds waist level out to 50 yds.
Good luck
gh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top