Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2002 10:11:40 PM EDT
Hello I just joined, I'm a glock guy and have been wanting an AR for awhile.  I know little to nothing about them, so I'm hoping you kind folks can help.  I want an AR for target/fun shooting and for defense if I ever get in that situation.  So far I have gotten the best recommendations for RRA and Bushy, with sort of mild reviews of Oly and DPMS.  My biggest priority is to get a good deal, hopefully in the $600 range.  So just curious what you folks recommend and other advice, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome

Now that's out of the way, I would have to say Bushmaster  

Jamie
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Go for the bushy.

Love mine.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:31:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Stick with ABC and you won't go wrong.  Armalite, Colt, Bushmaster.

For my money I thought Bushmaster was the best value.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#4]
My recommendation is that it doesn't matter that much which brand you get.  In the $600 range I would be inclined to get a used rifle and just get some experience and have some fun with it.  I've heard a lot of good things about RRA and I personally have had excellent experience with Oly prebans.

Right now I am down to 2 ARs:  A Bushy 20" HBAR with scope for paper punching and an Oly preban configured like an M4 with an AimPoint for plinking/offhand/fun shooting.  You might spend time on deciding what you want to do with the rifle and take whatever brand comes down the pike first.  I'm sure it won't be your last one, so in time it will become a moot point.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:56:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Greetings & Welcome!

marvl made a good point, but which ever you get, post a pic!!!

ENJOY!

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:01:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#7]
No one mentioned CavArms

New rifle for about $600.00

www.cavalryarms.com/sale.htm

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#8]
ARMALITE
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Let everyone mention their favorite pick, then do the "Pepsi Challenge":

Try a RRA trigger compared to a Colt Match, ANY Bushmaster, Any Oly arms, and prepare to be amazed!!! The RRA trigger is beautiful!!!

The TWO RRA I have shot have been amazing! Mine will be in within a week!!! RRA is selling like hotcakes!!! Not because it is a great price ($650 dealer for the standard 20" A2...), but because of the incredible craftsmanship.

Then, compare the finishes: A RRA finish is smooth. The metal has a flat surface. A bushmaster to me looks like it was shaped with a claw hammer. GRANTED, UGLY RIFLES CAN SHOOT JUST FINE AND JUST AS ACCURATE, BUT IT SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT THEIR ATTENTION TO DETAIL AND THEIR QUALITY ASSURANCE.

I cannot see the "purple" in a bushy's finish, but it was obvious that the finish btw the upper and lower is a different tone. RRA? Consistent btw all rifles and the uppers and lowers. This says something about quality. (ONCE AGAIN, BUSHYS ACCURACY IS NOT AFFECTED BY THE FINISH, SURFACE OF THE RECEIVER, ETC!!!) But, it says something about their quality control, time put into each rifle, etc.

My 2 cents...

mug
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#10]
BRA

Bushmaster
Rock River Arms
Armalite

big
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Try a RRA trigger compared to a Colt Match, ANY Bushmaster, Any Oly arms, and prepare to be amazed!!! The RRA trigger is beautiful!!!
mug

I gotta say, the RRA two-stage worked wonders on my Bushy.  The groups tightened up by 300%, and have given me a higher level of confidence.  You just can't beat a two-stage like the RRA that DROPS RIGHT IN.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I would have to say RRA.  I just got mine together and it is a dream.  I bought the lower from Patrick Stanley (of Shooting Sports in Crittenden KY...he's a shooter on teh USMC reserve team an one heck of a guy, I can't praise him enough) and had John Holliger build the upper from a RRA DCM upper.  The upper and lower were purchased seperately but the fit is so tight, it's as if they were cast as one and then cut apart.
My first AR was a Bushy 16" and I loved it and would highly recommend 'em.  BUT,  after seeing and handling (haven't shot it yet) the RRA, I'd say they're at the top right now.  the fact they are priced so well makes the deal even sweeter!
Later,
Rich  
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I noticed that the RRA rifles are chambered in .223 Wylde. How is that different from .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO?

Also, the RRA website advertises 9mm complete uppers. How do you set the rifle up for 9mm shoting and why would you want to, anyway?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Bushy all the way.  They're mil-spec, so you could use 5.56mm ammo without harming them.  They're relatively expensive, but you'll not be disappointed with the quality.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I would go for the bushmaster, as I think that they are the best value.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Bushy or Cav arms. I got a Bushy, and I still want a Cav 15, that is one of the coolest Ar's out there. Welcome aboard rtr!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#17]
COLT  Before you buy into the Bushmaster arguement, do a search on Bushmaster here and look at the problems.  Then do one on Colt.  This should make the decision very simple.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

look at that, i think the stock on Cav Arms looks ungly. all those bolts and such.   thats just my opinion go BUSHMASTER!
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Different strokes for different folks...

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:48:25 AM EDT
[#20]
FirearmTom1:
The colored finish on the Cav Arms receivers,
how "durable" is it? Is it just paint or a died teflon coating????
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#21]

My biggest priority is to get a good deal, hopefully in the $600 range.

Well for a new complete factory rifle that probably narrows it down to a Cavalry Arms only, unless you can find a good deal somewhere.

The colored finish on the Cav Arms receivers,
how "durable" is it? Is it just paint or a died teflon coating????

The color is molded in. If you cut it in half, it would be the same color inside as outside.

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Welcome!

I would have to recommend a Bushmaster too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top