Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2002 11:59:20 PM EDT
Hey guys, its been awhile since Ive posted about my first rifle but Im definetely hooked. I have since bought scope,cheekrest,free float guard, bipod and put the beamshot from the glock on her. I put the beamshot on it because I wanted to use for home defense as well and couldnt use sights because of scope. I had to cut off the front iron sight to do so but the end result is what mattered. I modified the weaver base so I could run a wire from the lazer to a switch residing where the rear sight adjustment used to be. Is this sacrilidge on a pre-ban? Ive kept all the parts I took off though. I find myself shooting the AR alot more than the Glock nowadays and would like to get 16" barrel or actually complete assembly. Money is tight right now though so Im thinking about trying to trade the glock in on one. What do you guys think? I want a lighter rifle that can hold 2"s at 150yds if I do my part. And can take some abuse from heavy rounds. I also need a new stock because Im just a lil guy 5'9". Ive heard the adjustables make alot of noise. Here are some pics of what you guys done to me!

BTW: Im taking my little sister(11yrs) shooting soon to get to her before MTV does...I'll post some pics

briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/siennfein/vwp?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.src=bc&.dnm=harris+bi-pods+rule!.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/siennfein/lst%3f%26.dir=/Yahoo!%2bPhoto%2bAlbum%26.src=bc%26.view=t

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:06:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice! After you take your little sister out shooting will you take me?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#2]
ROFL!!! YEs FNG! You come to ohio we'll shoot some stuff!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#3]
The rifle looks good.  The Cobra looks better.  The 00 R, looks the best.  What does the white cobra run the quarter in?  
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The white car is mine and its actually a GT. Last year at the track I was testing a new pully I bought that would produce 17lbs of boost on my supercgarger. First and only run netted a 13.0@106 with a 2.1 60', a broken #4 piston and a blown headgasket. Ive since rebuilt it with new induction and stronger internals. Im expecting mid/low 12's on drag radials on about 14's of boost. I also blew a rear seal in the supercharger and am in the process of rebuilding it. ATI(the manuf.) wouldnt sell me the rear seal which they make in-house so I found a seal company to make one. I tried to make one myself(pic of white seal in briefcase) but it was too timely and I have very little CNC lathe experiance.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#5]
You CUT OFF yur front sight????

Yikes.

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
garandman: yea I know, I debated about doing it for awhile but i came to the conclusion that I could replace it easily to get back to square one. Anyone know if model 1 barrels are any good?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Why did you choose the name that you did?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#8]
in reference to the remark of "Why did you choose the name that you did? " Sinn Fein means in Gaelic "We Ourselves" it refers to the Irish wanting to be free and govern themselves.
now before i get all the anti IRA lectures remember the Irish have been fighting for 800 years. and i suggest do some reading on the history of forced slavery, the penal laws, and the famine (also known as the Irish holocaust) and also do some reading on "The Troubles"  before ye cast judgment. i dont agree with all of todays political stands of Sinn Fein, but i do believe in the Brits getting the F*CK out of N. Eire and let the Irish govern themselves (yes both unionists and loyalist together)
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
in reference to the remark of "Why did you choose the name that you did? " Sinn Fein means in Gaelic "We Ourselves" it refers to the Irish wanting to be free and govern themselves.
now before i get all the anti IRA lectures remember the Irish have been fighting for 800 years. and i suggest do some reading on the history of forced slavery, the penal laws, and the famine (also known as the Irish holocaust) and also do some reading on "The Troubles"  before ye cast judgment. i dont agree with all of todays political stands of Sinn Fein, but i do believe in the Brits getting the F*CK out of N. Eire and let the Irish govern themselves (yes both unionists and loyalist together)

That's what I thought.

My problem with the IRA is that they attack non-combatants and emergency personnel, instead of just British Army soldiers.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm, what scope is that?

Is that one of those cheap rubberized ones for $29.99? I think your rifle deserves something better.

Regarding the adjustable stock, this is what I use:
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#11]
ummmm...first off. the IRA are not just fighting the brits. they were also fighting loyalist paramilitary groups. UDF, RHD, and many other loyalist groups. AND they were also combating the RUC who were working hand in hand with the UDF etc. Sinn Fein deos not target civilians. have civilians been killed? yes. but remember we (THE USA) have killed plenty of civilians (collateral damage) that happens when warfare happens. im not excusing the IRA for any civilian deaths, but, both sides are guilty of that offense. dont forget bloody sunday in Derry where british paras opened fire on unarmed demonstators. killing and wounding many UNARMED people. dont go screaming about the troubles in Eire if you dont know what your talking about.
"Tiocaidh Ar La"
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I chose it because all the names I wanted on aol had been taken. Sinn Fein is Irelands first political party. Im Protestant and am not affiliated with the group.

skullworks: yes I know its a horrible scope, but I spent all my dough on the gun and had little for a scope. I want a better one soon when I get some more hours in. What upper is that you have? Id like to have a flattop too.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
skullworks: yes I know its a horrible scope, but I spent all my dough on the gun and had little for a scope.

I hate when that happens. Well, once you save up some take a look at www.swfa.com, that's where I buy my scopes. (Including the Leupold Tactical in the picture.)

I want a better one soon when I get some more hours in. What upper is that you have? Id like to have a flattop too.
It's a DPMS Extended Rail upper that I got from Brownells. (www.brownells.com) Same goes for the barrel and float tube.
My next AR project will probably have a 20" OlyArms barrel.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#14]
skullworks: is that a 16" barrel? If so how do you know how a 16" feels on the gun as apposed to a 20" when it comes to weight?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice rifle. Good idea to take the family shooting as often as possible.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
skullworks: is that a 16" barrel?

Yes sir, it is.

If so how do you know how a 16" feels on the gun as apposed to a 20" when it comes to weight?
Uh, I don't. I never said I did... I'm getting confused.

You just said you wanted a new stock because you were a "little guy" at 5'9". Well, I'm 5'8" and this is what I use. I figured it'd at least give you a sense of what it looks like. Also, it doesn't rattle. However, since you have a pre-ban  rifle, your options are not as limited as mine are to what you can or cannot do to it.

When it comes to my 20" project we'll see exactly what it ends up looking like. For now all I know is that I want a longer barrel for the next one I build.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#17]
skullworks: Sorry, I meant if your upper was a 16", how did it compare in wieght to the 20"(I assumed youve had both). What makes you want to build a 20" this time around?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#18]
How did you mount the bipod to the float tube?  Did you drill and thread the tube to take a stud?  If so, how durable is that?  I am concerned that the soft aluminum might not stand up to that kind of stress.  Thus, I have hesitated on that procedure.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
skullworks: Sorry, I meant if your upper was a 16", how did it compare in wieght to the 20"(I assumed youve had both).

I've handled both, and it feels as though I have more control when carrying the 16" (since the center of balance is closer to my body.) However, the reason I want a 20" is to see the difference on paper as the distances get greater.

What makes you want to build a 20" this time around?
More toys! Plus the reason given above.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
midian: I drilled a hole in the float tube to accept a 1/4-20 bolt then took a 1/4-20 nut and put a radius on one side similar to the radius on the I.D of the float tube. I did this on a bench grinder. I figured the thickness of the float tube would be thick enough to be threaded and wouldnt allow for enough torque. So far it has held up good. It came loose once which could easily be eliminated with a lock washer and or thread locker. Anybody with a drill and a bench grinder can do it(its nicer when you work at a machine shop though!).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top