Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2002 5:42:00 AM EDT
Went to the farm today to shoot my new Bushmaster carbine. Went with a friend who is an ex-Marine armorer and another who competes all over the place.
I sighted in the carbine and the Marine sighted in his new Colt. The other fellow just came along for the ride, didn't feel like cleaning anything after. At the end of the day he commented on how good we shot. I looked and said I guess it is OK.
He said this is great shooting. You shot off hand quick fire and everything you guys shot is in the black. How many guys do you know can shoot like that?
Knowing that he competes with people from all over the country I asked him what about these guys who can shoot this and shoot that. His reply was that most of them are usually full of s___! You go out with these guys and you wait for them to show you this great shooting and they come up with a million excuses as to why they can't do what they say. Yeah I know guys who can really shoot but they shoot 10's of thousands of rounds a year but there are only a few of them.
So lets have it men what is the real scoop? What is a good benchmark for shooting the AR?
Is most of what I hear like the one that got away?
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you shoot offhand at 200 yards? That is what we do in highpower. I thought I was a hotshot coyote hunter that was going to show these people how to shoot. I got humbled quick, I was lucky to shoot 75/100 offhand. Now at least my offhand is creeping into the low nineties. The really good shooters average 95 and up. The rapid sitting and rapid prone groups of the good shooters measure 1 to 2 moa, and if you know nothing about wind reading at 600 yards, you have a big surprise coming. I have pulled for an Air Force shooter that hit the long range spotter at least 12 times out of 20, it is so small you cannot even see it at 600 yards with your naked eyes. He just kept all his shots in the center of the target!
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The perfect benchmark for an AR is whatever the nearest Marine shoots!!!

Hoorah!!!!!!!

USMC  1976-1982
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I did that BobCole!

Now when someone talks about hitting 75 out of 100 at 200yds I have to ask if that is with a scope? How big is the target because the targets we used were 12x12 and would look like a dot at 200yd.
I've seen my youngest son hit a 12in steel plate all day long at 100yds with his 22 but when you get out to 200yds it becomes a different matter. The question was what is considered good shooting for the AR?
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The question was what is considered good shooting for the AR?

I would say that @ 100 yards, with iron sights, if one can shoot 3 inch groups or less, then one is better than average.

2 inches or less & one must've been a Marine. (sorry, couldn't resist  >gg<)
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:03:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The question was what is considered good shooting for the AR?

I would say that @ 100 yards, with iron sights, if one can shoot 3 inch groups or less, then one is better than average.

2 inches or less & one must've been a Marine. (sorry, couldn't resist  >gg<)

1.5 inches or less...a Marine with his eyes open!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Nick - some of it depends on how you are set up. I have a Bushy shorty, an Ashley tritium front post (read - soft ball), am zeroed at 50 yrds, and shoot milsurp ammo. I am set up for 3 gun - one sight setting from 10' to 200 yrds. My goal is not one hole. My goal is "A" zone and speed. Practice consists of snap shots, shooting on the move, shoot from behind cover and mag changes. One hole? Who cares - what was your time?

If you have a 20" upper, a nat. match front post, and match ammo - that is a whole 'nother ball game.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I think 2 MOA with Mil-Surp Ammo is doing pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I always figure how I am shooting is relative to distance, time and position.

Lay me down prone using my Les Baer with Leupold scope and taking my damn sweet time, I expect no less than 2" groups at 200 yards with Black Hills ammo.

Set up an El Presidente drill for me with an M4gery mit reddot and all A-zone hits will do the trick.

Load up the shorty and dump a mag - I'd be happy if all the lead strikes the target!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess that I fit somewhere in the middle of all those opinions. The 3 gun set-up sounds about rigth for the AR. I usually shoot fairly quick even at 100yds. I spend just a little time at slow fire but the real fun seems to be in the combat style of shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top