Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2002 11:19:47 PM EDT
Is there such a thing???? I'd like to shoot w/o hearing protection, is there a suppressor made that's reduces the DB level to the point where you don't have to wear protection. And do all suppressors require you to have a special license? also are they for preban weapons only

What say You
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Not in WA.  You can own a suppressor, but you can not fire a suppressed weapon in WA state.  You can go to ID or OR and shoot suppressed, but dont get caught in WA firing a suppressed weapon.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Not in WA.  You can own a suppressor, but you can not fire a suppressed weapon in WA state.  You can go to ID or OR and shoot suppressed, but dont get caught in WA firing a suppressed weapon.

Thats fine, can I legally BUY one?? if so, do you have a source to buy, I shoot in OR also
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Well WSI on Bellevue is ine of the best around for that kind of stuff.  They usually have stock of what you are looking for.  Give them a call.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:31:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Pre-ban rifles only for this kind of accessory.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well WSI on Bellevue is ine of the best around for that kind of stuff.  They usually have stock of what you are looking for.  Give them a call.

Hey BDog do you have a phone number or a web link??
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thats fine, can I legally BUY one?? if so, do you have a source to buy, I shoot in OR also

IIRC, you can't simply just cross state lines with an NFA weapon without prior approval of the BATF.  Even though a suppressor is not a firearm, I believe the same still applies.  So... even if you could own one in WA, hopping over to another state to shoot it would not really be practical as you'd need permission (and the associated wait time) for each instance.

Rocko
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

IIRC, you can't simply just cross state lines with an NFA weapon without prior approval of the BATF.  Even though a suppressor is not a firearm, I believe the same still applies.  So... even if you could own one in WA, hopping over to another state to shoot it would not really be practical as you'd need permission (and the associated wait time) for each instance.

Rocko

Not for a suppressor
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rocko

Not for a suppressor

I believe that you have to form 5320.20 the suppressor for the trip to a friendly state.

I may be wrong, but still would include the item with the other NFA toys that are making the trip.  The last thing you would want is to get stopped in a non-friendly state on the drive threw with a item not listed of the traveling form.

Also, as said, the suppressor is considered a Flash suppressor too. It would count as on of the evil items on the rifle.  You would need to go to a thumb hole stock in order to use the FS/sound suppressor on the rifle( threaded barrel).
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I believe that you have to form 5320.20 the suppressor for the trip to a friendly state.

You don't have to but they will take them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Silencers and AOWs do not need any permision from ATF to travel across state lines like the other NFA items do.

A thumbhole does not remove an evil feature from a post ban rifle and does not qualify you to put a suppressor on the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
According to the good men & women @ WSI, crossing state lines w/ a legally owned suppressor isn't a legal problem. Actually shooting w/ one in WA State is illegal, however. Some Olympia politician obviously got their digs in on this one.

Wade's Guns also has some under glass at the counter that they'll let you fondle & caress. For the AR series, there are a few brands out there: Knight's, Gemtech, AWC, plus a few others that I can't remember.

Since a suppressor retards/eliminates both sound & flash, & since a post-ban gun cannot have a flash suppressor at all (I think), using a suppressor on a post-ban gun might be illegal, unless there's some sort of legal trade-off that I'm not aware of.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Silencers and AOWs do not need any permision from ATF to travel across state lines like the other NFA items do.

A thumbhole does not remove an evil feature from a post ban rifle and does not qualify you to put a suppressor on the barrel.

I stand corrected.
"The evils are as follows: collapsible buttstock, pistol grip, removable magazine, grenade launcher, threaded muzzle, bayonet lug, and flash hider."

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Just to be a pain in the ass the detatchable magazine is not an evil feature. It is a qualifying feature. If the rifle does not have a detatchable magazine you may have any or all of the other features.

Also threaded muzzle is not an evil feature. Ability to accept a flash hider or greanade launcher is. So a thread in a non std. pitch which will accept no commercially made flash hider would be ok.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You still have to do the Federal tax stamp and paperwork.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top