Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2002 6:24:24 PM EDT
I recently picked up a CAI Garand for CHEAP - I'm taking it out tomorrow, and I had a question...

I'v heard that some types of ammo can damage the op rod. - what kind of ammo is OK to use?

I have a couple boxes of Remmington '06 laying around. Is this ok, or should I wait to get some M2 ball?

TIA

Tony
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Commercial 150 grain or less should be safe, but 110 grain would not cycle the action on my M1.  M2 ball is the standard as you know.  Stay away from the 180 grain and heavier unless you get the NM mods.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:02:41 AM EDT
[#2]
What DPreacher said.  I only shoot 150 gr commercial in my Garands.  There are some companies out there that sell military remanufactured ammo (essentially reloaded military brass) and these are good too, but watch out for quality control on these.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You want 30-'06 Military ball ammo.

Yeah, if you can find it.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Also stay away from the various "Light Magnum" loads regardless of projectile weight.  Those rounds have a pressure curve not even dreamed of when the Garand was produced.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#7]
freshhoarse,

Before you shoot the rifle, check the head space!!!!!!  The cheap copy's are cheap for a reason, they are built on used parts with a receiver that may be out of spec.  The barrel may be worn out and over head spaced, or when they turned the barrel shoulder to index the barrel, they may have set the head space too tight.

Also, what brand of receiver is on the rifle? Some of the clone USA ones are so out of spec that the rifle may need a lot of tweaking just to get it to run.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#8]
If I had a CAI assembled M1 Garand, the ammo would be the least of my worries.  A very few are acceptable.  Many have out of spec receivers and they simply are not reliable.  Op rod popping out, failures to cycle, premature ejection of clip etc. If yours works, consider your self lucky.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#9]

www.ammunitionstore.com/
30-06 FMJ Yugo mfg. 150 gr.
Non-Corrosive, 22 rnd boxes
copper jacket, brass case, boxer primed
$125.95 - 482 rounds in 50 cal ammo can

Can anyone give some feed back on the ammo listed above, of how equivalent it is compared to the U.S. M2 Ball for the M1 Garand.
Thanks,
Shane
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top