Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2002 4:52:00 PM EDT
If you could have just one gun for day and night operations in all types of enviroments incl.: Desert, Mountains, Artic, Woodlands, Jungles, Urban, Plains, etc. what would it be?

I would seriously have to consider giving the M1A Bush Rifle or maybe the M1A Scout with an EoTech 552 on it a try. The round is large enough yet the rifle is small and robust enought the Socut would have the extra benefit of an EoTech sight or anythign else you can mount on the forawrd placed picatinny rail.

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
M1A....
......because I have one
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]
You didn't list the rifle I would take - an M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#3]
You didn't list the one rifle most would want for the conditions described, the AK47, of course.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I dunno... M1 Garnand is too long for urban ops (you have to take every type of scenario into account) and the AK's sights aint that good and besides... I don't like it that much even though my dad swears by them.

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The one I have: a BM Shorty AK flattop, with an ARMS #40 & (next week, I hope) an IOR M2 scope on ARMS #22 rings.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a tough one. Depends what you're shooting at, and what the situation is. .308 and .30-06 are great rounds, but are we protecting ourselves, or hunting to provide food for our family? Short term or long term?
Ammo availability could also be a factor.
I mean, Is this in good times with an unlimited supply of ammo, or some kind of a survivalist situation ? I voted for the AR 'cause hey, what site is this anyway?.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I would take my Springfield M1A Scout.

My only concern would be weight of ammo.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#8]
It would be an AR... It's the weapon I'm most familiar and comfortable with.  Most likely one of my Bushmaster A2 20" rifles... They've never failed me no matter what the conditions and gobble anything I can put in a magazine... even Wolf!

In the situation you've described, complete confidence in that ONE weapon would be a critial issue...
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#9]
AR-15/M-16A2
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
AR-10A4 from your selection list.

(If I could choose any battlefield rifle I would probably pick the FN FAL 50.00 L.A.R.)
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You didn't list the one rifle most would want for the conditions described, the AK47, of course.

Yes, why did you not list this.
Its common sense!
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#12]
My AK is a monster. It eats anything, anytime, anywhere in any condition without fail.

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Good grief, how many more 'if you could just have (insert number here) gun(s) for (insert situation here)' threads are there going to be?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Good grief, how many more 'if you could just have (insert number here) gun(s) for (insert situation here)' threads are there going to be?

No shit!
Every three days there is one that is similar.
I guess we don't have to click on it.
But it is getting old.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#15]
M16A3 flattop with an Elcan.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Hi new guy here,im in the Marines and as far as ammo weight goes,you just carry it and be happy.Ive carried linked 7.62x51,8 fricken belts yes its heavy oh well suck it up and deal with it.
I have also been laden with enough saw drums to make a mule puke.So what did i do?I sucked it up and i carried it.
As fars as the do everything rifle for every situation,it does not exist however i do like 7.62 for a survival weapon.
As far as mout is concerned we use 20 inch m16's just fine in mout and they are not that much shorter than a m14.
its really a matter of what your comfortable with,the ar15 works as does the m14 type rifles out there.
I own a bushmaster a3 with the 74 break on it and i own a m1a standard synthetic i like both alot i shoot both alot.I had to leave them at home in nevada cause of californias laws but i get out in a month.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#17]
tough call,  I'm torn between a DSA FAL & a
16" Dissi  AR but I think I'd go with the AR for ammo/magazine/parts availibility.  It's lighter too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#18]
A Mark V Lee-Enfield. My God the greatest weapon ever. With well over 20K rounds through it, I've had maybe 10-15 misfires, never a misfeed, extraction or ejection problem, and an extremely accurate gun. You can put a damn bucket of sand into the action and it will still fire and cycle. I know I know, not the lightest thing to carry around, but no doubt I would trust my life with it. None of this pistol crap like these damn Beretta's. Couple grains of sand will make the damn thing inoperable. The 1911 is good, except I got smaller than average hands. No good on single hand fire. I know I'm a little old-school with the Enfield, but I seriously don't feel outgunned, as I have more powerful ammunition, more accurate than the M-16, and more reliable. I like SGB's comment of the M1A. (God I feel old). That damn thing has broken off my thumb nail and broken the bone a few times (because of my preoccupied state of mind, or carelessness) but its reliable, and thats all that matters to me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#19]
G3.

Or, if you insist on ANY possible environment, that Soviet underwater assault rifle that fires steel darts.

The website for the factory that made them is down...
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Give me an M1A.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Bushmaster Dissipator A3 with sights.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Definitely depends on the situation.  Longer ranges, more open landscape = M1A (7.62x51). Under 200m if barrier/cover penetration is not a big issue = AR-15 (IMI M193).  The AR gets the nod for carrying long distances because of the weight of the rifle and the ammo compared with the M1A.  You can carry more ammo or the same amount of ammo and more of other stuff.
 However, a well tuned M1A with 400 or more rounds of good ammo is definitely a force to be reckoned with.  To be honest, I would feel well armed with either one of these rifles under most circumstances.  In certain situations one would work better, in others the other would, etc.  The point is there are many good weapons and alot of it comes down to personal taste.  How's that for a circular and somewhat smarta$$ answer???

Happy fourth anyway, GBA!!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:27:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
M16A3 flattop with an Elcan.

Sorry, Rik, but that would not be possible.  An M16A3 is a carry handle A2 with full auto as opposed to burst.  A flattop would be an M16A4.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:31:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I dunno... M1 Garnand is too long for urban ops (you have to take every type of scenario into account)  

Don't tell the guys who fought door to door in Europe and the cities in the Phillipines.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Fulton Armory M1A using Springfield receiver.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit!
Every three days there is one that is similar.
I guess we don't have to click on it.
But it is getting old.

Funny you should bring this up.  I wuz thinking of starting a "If you could only have 56 guns..." thread.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I would take the M1A or the M1A Bush or Scout rifles as first pick. I like the .308 very well for about all applications. The more compact M1A's are short enough for the close in stuff, yet fire a powerful round that will reach out there and touch something the 5.56 won't. It may be a bit heavier but I don't plan on taking any gun on a 15 mile road march....I'm not going to need to be that mobile. For the distances I'll be walking I can deal with the extra load.

I can't believe the AK wasn't mentioned in the poll. Those things are crude but nonetheless awesome. They work like a charm and keep on working even when filthy. But still I would choose the M1A first over these because of better range, penetration, zip and accuracy.

My third choice would be an AR or a Mini-14. I like both about equally well. The AR is more accurate, while I find the Mini more reliable.

I would take an FAL type next. While these seem accurate enough and reliable, I just don't like the way they feel. I handled one a few days ago and I almost have to lay my head completely sideways on the stock to get down on the sights. They are just too awkward for me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Ya i would take a M14 copy for a rural area survival rifle.I think 7.62 would be a better deer/boar/elk cartridge than 5.56.
If i lived in the city i would probably have a AR15.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#29]
G3, its been everywhere, done everything, and with a JP muzzle brake, easy to shoot in FA from what ive been told.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's another vote for the M1A.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok I've finally been compelled to put my 2 cents worth in on one of the forums.
I'd have to take the M1A/M14 series in a scout configuration with a trijicon site(not sure which one) with the tritium backup lumination. They're reliable, accurate, and powerful compared to the 223 and 7.62x39.  My second choice would be my SP1 ar-15 because I actually own this gun, shoot it regularly, am confident in it, etc. But thats if I were taking a rifle.

However in the conditions described, I'd take a shotgun over rifle.  A remington 870 12 ga mag w/20 in. barrel and ghost ring sites -- scattergun tech's trak lock maybe.  I'd have a rifled choke tube for slugs, which actually gives decent range/accuracy.  Then throw in a cyl. bore tube for buckshot and you're set.  On top of that 870s are as reliable as any rifle mentioned, yes including AKs and even the old turn bolt enfield, and parts for them are available almost everywhere.  Plus the 12 ga round may be the most available ammo in the world.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top