Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2002 11:21:22 PM EDT
Was wandering around the local gunshop, wasting time as I love to, as usual, and saw an obviously used, in places rusted, Springfield M1A.  Nothing exotic. . . appeared to be the standard rifle in mediocre condition at best.
The price on the tag read: $1150.
Although I generally am willing to pay slightly more to support the convenience of this shop, I found this price to be unreasonable.  What do you think?  Is there a greater resale market for these rifles than I am aware of?
Lemme know your thoughts. . .

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like alot to me.  I saw a Hoplite ad in SGN a month or two ago that listed new Mil-Spec Springfield M1A rifles for $1199.99.  I like to support local gun shops too, but that price is too high IMHO (how many too's was that?).
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Many "too's" less than my number of commas.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:49:19 AM EDT
[#3]
IF it was pre-ban it MIGHT command a small premium over a brand new post ban, but not much.  I mean, the only difference is the bayonet lug which doesn't make the rifle look silly like the naked barrel of a post ban AR.

Given the ratty condition, I'd take a closer look at it.  If you have a friend that is into high power service rifle competition, take him along to look it over.  It just might be well used in competition as I have seen several M1As that were borderline eyesores with enough work on them to make them a bargain at that price.

Look at the rear sight and see if it is standard (stamped apeture) or hooded (cone style).  Inspect the front sight and see if it is mil-spec. or NM.  You also might want to take the trigger group out and look for aftermarket work (i.e. hammer lightening, ect.)  Also look to see if the stock / receiver is glass-bedded.  

If it doesn't have alot of NM parts on it, you can assume that the shop probably stole it from some guy on a trade in on something he had to have.  I wouldn't be surprised if they only had around $500-$550 in it if that at all.  Hell, they can't have too much in it or else they would have probably spent $100 to refinish the thing relying on the bigger bump in value of a pre-ban in premium condition.

If it isn't even a pre-ban rifle RUN DON'T WALK AWAY.  Remember, its for the children.....

Saleen
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Considering that you can get a brand-new one for less than that if you look hard, I'd say the price was a tad unreasonable.  In my experience, rust and wear don't usually ADD to the value of a firearm.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
That was way too much for the condition you described. Of course it may have been the "asking" price. Sometimes goobers in off the street pay the sticker price.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#6]
That was way too much for the condition you described. Of course it may have been the "asking" price. Sometimes goobers in off the street pay the sticker price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top