Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2002 8:35:03 PM EDT
how are these things. how do they stack up to more expensive bolt guns. im not sure i like savage stocks. just give me some food for thought

oh yah, im lookin at the 308
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The savage is great as far as accuracy.
The stock is junk and the trigger is only ok. Some people have tuned the triggers and like it but I replaced mine with the sharp shooter supply trigger.
Stocks can be had from 160.00 to 500.00 bucks.
I tried the choate ss stock and didnt like it and eventually went with a sharp shooter supply stock.
By the time you add a new stock to it you are into remington price range.
I am happy with my savage but it took some time to get it dialed in.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Straight facts from my own personal experience.  After hearing glowing reports of how accurate the Savage "Police Model" (10FP), I ordered one about two years ago.  Mine was a 10FLP (left hand action) in 223 caliber.  It would shoot under an inch (5-shots, 100 yards) once in a while, average after much handloading was about 1.5 inch groups.  I had the trigger eworked by a local gunsmith and it was certainly useable after he worked it over, but horrid as stock.  I replaced the stock with the ugly but sturdy Choat "Ultimate Sniper" stock.  The rifle was now ridiculously heavy for a 223 IMHO.  But it still would not shoot 1 MOA.  In desperation I sold off the stock, and sold the rifle for $225 just to be rid of it.   Factory bolt-action rifles are sometimed great, sometimes not.  If it shoots 2MOA there is nothing 'wrong' with it.
Good Luck,
BillSP1
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#4]
REM...vls in 7-08.........
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have done trigger work on mine to get suitable for accurate shooting, and have also found the need to replace the stock.  Mine was one of the original 110FP's in .308, so it was built before they added pillar blocks.  I had free-floated the original stock with a dremel, and found it to be too flexible.  I also went with a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock and have been quite happy with it since then.  I get on average 3/4" to 1" groups, and the best was a 3 shot 1/4" group.

I have no regrets on the purchase of the 110FP, because after replacing the stock I still spent less on it than I could've picked up a PSS for at the time.  The other purchases I made for it would've been made for any precision rifle.  If you want a limited budget out-of-box sharpshooter, look into Savage's 112 series varmint rifles.  The ones with the laminated stocks and the Ultimate Varminter stocks are good deals.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is my 20" .308 10FP with a McMillian stock and Leupold 6.5 x 20 x 50 Long Range with "Premier Reticle".

Shoots like a dream...

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]
110 fp savage tactical, .308 cal, springfield scope, and harris bipod, always under an inch in a 220 yard distance, no trigger, i shoot hornady 168 grain hpbt match ammo, expensive but the gun loves it
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
REM...vls in 7-08.........

I shot the same rifle 2 weeks ago prone at 300yds in the Carlos Hathcock Match in NJ.
The VLS stock is NOT Prone Friendly. The Caliber is awsome though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#9]
The only other thing I can really gripe about the 110FP is the amount of clearance between the scope and barrel contour.  I had to special order very high rings to get the bell to clear the barrel.  Even then, I use an elastic scope coat because standard lens caps and flip-open caps wouldn't fit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here is my 20" .308 10FP with a McMillian stock and Leupold 6.5 x 20 x 50 Long Range with "Premier Reticle".

www.ar15.com/members/albums/FirearmTom1%2FSavage308%2EJPG

Shoots like a dream...

Nice! That McMillan stock probably set you back more than the rifle cost. Did you have to send the rifle to McMillan to get it fitted or was it a drop in?

HS Precision was supposed to start making stocks for Savage rifles but there is a snafu. I was going to go with either the Sharp Shooter Supply varmint/tactical stock or a McMillan for my 10FP.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I live about 10 minutes from McMillian.

I bought the rifle complete from a guy that needed the money.

He took the hit.

My gunsmith had it on consignment for $1500.00.

I picked it up for $1000.00 as you see it.

The scope alone is $800 +.

I think the stock would cost about $450.00
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#12]
By the time you get done "FIXING" it up, toy would be time AND money ahead by purchasing a Remington 700 PSS or a Sendero of what ever caliber you want. I saw the PSS at the Phoenix gun show yesterday for the inflated price of $729. I know where you can get them for $629. Do your self a favor. Get the Remington. My shooting friend went down the Savage road and all other posts are correct. But they didn't have the failure my friends rifle had... A primer blew out while shooting a FACTORY REM 150 GR SP. Well,it was more than just a blown primer as it blew the extractor out of the bolt & jammed the ejector back into the bolt. Took me 2 hours just to get the action opened. Then 2 weeks for the factory repair center to fix it. I mean they froze it, heated it and beat on it, soaked it until the damn thing would come apart. NO THANKS, I'll take the Remington.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
By the time you get done "FIXING" it up, toy would be time AND money ahead by purchasing a Remington 700 PSS or a Sendero of what ever caliber you want. I saw the PSS at the Phoenix gun show yesterday for the inflated price of $729. I know where you can get them for $629. Do your self a favor. Get the Remington. My shooting friend went down the Savage road and all other posts are correct. But they didn't have the failure my friends rifle had... A primer blew out while shooting a FACTORY REM 150 GR SP. Well,it was more than just a blown primer as it blew the extractor out of the bolt & jammed the ejector back into the bolt. Took me 2 hours just to get the action opened. Then 2 weeks for the factory repair center to fix it. I mean they froze it, heated it and beat on it, soaked it until the damn thing would come apart. NO THANKS, I'll take the Remington.

YA YA, I have heard plenty of Remington horror stories too.

I have a couple of both, and I still say that the savage is the best entry level weapon out there price and quality.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I own the Savage 110fp .223 long action (now discontinued, wonder why LOL) Gotta be honest, I've had Remingtons and really liked them, bought the Savage for something new and different. If you can afford it, buy the Remington! Everybody and their dog makes accessories for it, try finding trick shit for a Savage in Brownells! But overall I have been pretty happy with mine. Made my first 600 yard shot with it last week, which for me is really saying something! Also this is my first post, and the advice you guys have on the boards has really helped me a lot with my first AR. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I own the Savage 110fp .223 long action (now discontinued, wonder why LOL) Gotta be honest, I've had Remingtons and really liked them, bought the Savage for something new and different. If you can afford it, buy the Remington! Everybody and their dog makes accessories for it, try finding trick shit for a Savage in Brownells! But overall I have been pretty happy with mine. Made my first 600 yard shot with it last week, which for me is really saying something! Also this is my first post, and the advice you guys have on the boards has really helped me a lot with my first AR. Thanks!

They discontinued the 110FP in 223 and 308 when they came out with the "short action" 10FP.

You do not need a long action for 223 or 308.

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#16]
To firearmtom1, that is one heck of a nice rifle you got! In reflection, I shouldn't be carping about my Savage, It is a heck of a nice gun for the money, and mine shoots very well. I would however really consider a Remington if you can afford one PS. Thanks for not flaming the new guy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top