Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/2/2002 1:29:58 PM EDT
I recall reading here that the 5.56 and .223 aren't exactly the same chambers and that it's ok to shoot one in the other but not the other in the one. Too bad I can't recall which way it is. I have two questions, which way is it? And, does anyone know if my American Spirit Arms rifle is 5.56 or .223? The lower says 5.56 but I couldn't find a mark on the upper or the barrel ( I can't get the handguards off ) Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:33:38 PM EDT
Supposed to be .223

But unfortunately, it is porbably neither. The jackasses couldnt use a chamber reamer even if they had one sharp enough cut.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:50:23 PM EDT
If it says 5.56 then that is what it is.

BTW, you can shoot .223 out of 5.56 but not 5.56 out of a .223 chamber.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:02:21 PM EDT

The jackasses couldnt use a chamber reamer even if they had one sharp enough cut.

I don't think they have a reamer... just a chisel and hammer. Hey, it's sorta round!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:55:26 PM EDT
Chaos is incorrect about ASA. ASA's chambers are all .223 SAAMI. It doesnt matter what the lower says, the lower is not the part with the chamber. Heck, some lowers say .223/5.56.

Like I said, all ASA chambers are .223 SAAMI, and while you may experince some difficulty shooting 5.56 rounds, it isnt likely anything catastophic is going to occur. Most likely some reliability problems, or popped primers. Having said that, it is certainly true that it is best to shoot only .223 in the .223 chamber.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:51:55 AM EDT
Could I have my gunsmith ream it out to 5.56 specifications?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:51:46 AM EDT
I dont know for sure but I sort of doubt it. I would probably just get a new barrel if youare concerned about it. If it is something which concerns you, you should also think about getting a chrome lined shamber and bore. The chrome lining not only helps with reliability, but it protects the barrel/chamber much better and will extend its usable life sgnificantly. A good Bushmaster barrel will solve both of these issues.

Difference between 5.56 NATO and .223 SAAMI:
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:01:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fastang50:
Could I have my gunsmith ream it out to 5.56 specifications?

Yes. This can be done with non-chrome lined barrels. (like the moly-chrome or stainless barrles).

However New-ARguy has the best idea - replace the barrel with a chrome lined one.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:24:30 AM EDT
For those of you that care, there might be one or two, I shot the rifle with 5.56 this weekend. It functioned fine and there were no signs that it was the wrong size, primers looked normal. For what it's worth, it apparently is as marked, 5.56mm.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:33:40 AM EDT
I never thought there was a difference between 5.56 and .223 until I started ready the posts on this website but I have always shot both in my AR rifles with no effect what so ever.
I am still not sure that it really matters if it is a 5.56 or .223 as long as it is one or the other despite what a website says.

Despite what is said on this website ASA makes a very high quality product that is comparable with the best AR type rifles on the market.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:40:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos:
If it says 5.56 then that is what it is.

BTW, you can shoot .223 out of 5.56 but not 5.56 out of a .223 chamber.

Okay, I'll admit that when I first read the topic of this forum I thought "NEWBIE! They're the same thing!"

Now I read the above, something I've never heard in the 10 years I've owned my AR.

So, is it true? If I buy a Remington 700 in .223 Remington, does that mean that I can't use the stuff you buy in crates of 1000+ in it?

I'm always willing to learn something new, but this one irks me because I always took it as a given.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:41:01 AM EDT
Doc- I agree. I put the rifle together about three years ago, though dobut that I've put more than 1000 rounds though it, but I've been very happy with it. Reliable and (when using a rest) accurate.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 12:03:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GungHo:

The jackasses couldnt use a chamber reamer even if they had one sharp enough cut.

I don't think they have a reamer... just a chisel and hammer. Hey, it's sorta round!

While the above may be true at least their customer service sucks.
Top Top