Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/1/2002 7:53:18 PM EDT
FYI, I used WD40 on the stock and receiver, the results eliminated that heavy grease Bushmaster uses and leaves a nice sheen look. In addition uses only a black rag (I use a old dress sock)

The photos you see was cleaned with it 3 weeks ago.

And NO I don't use it for anything else internally.

Though I would share a trick, maybe its an old one
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:58:33 PM EDT
red X
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:03:35 PM EDT
I do exactly the same thing...

After scrubbing the bore, I washout the whole inside of the gun with "brake kleen", blow it all off with a 125psi blow nozzle, spray the outside with WD-40, lube the internals with CLP Break-Free, and wipe off the outside of the gun with a soft towel...

My AR's always look new this way...
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:19:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2002 8:24:02 PM EDT by sniped]
can you see me now
DO NOT USE onebigvillage for a photo hosting
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:16:40 PM EDT
sniped,
WD-40 is not really a lubricant, it will dissolve grease, oil and tar products. WD-40 was designed to be used on eclectic ignition parts for planes during WW-2 in the south pacific. The parts would rust/foul/moister soak and WD-40 would prevent it by laying down a fine layer of film, yet would not stop the conduction of electricity to the steel/copper parts.
Where the product shines is in your car. Pull the distributor cap and spray down the cap and rotor. If you drive in the rain or hit a lot of puddles, the WD-40 will prevent the water from attaching to the cap and causing the rotor to arch out into the cap and other plug wires.

The reason that it stops squeaks is that it will dissolve any grease and make the grease into a dry film.

If you use WD-40 on wood, it will turn the wood to a yellow color in a few years due to the solvent dissolving the finish.

For your rifle, you are better off using CLP to lube and clean the rifle. The cleaner portion in CLP will cut the fouling in the gas chamber and allow the weapon to be fired more between cleanings.

Plus, I like my rifles to be shinny, just like any military weapon that has been cleaned over and over and over until the armor tells you that it is now clean enough to check back-in.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:06:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:25:14 AM EDT
WD-40 is a WATER DISPLACEMENT COMPOUND, formula #40 (imagine that).
That is a perfect use for WD-40. ANd yes, I have used WD-40 as an alternate gun lube and as the cleaning agent when I have forgotten to bring the CLP or Hpooes #9 with me to the range. Of course I have also dribbled oil off of my trucks oil dipstick onto my guns as a REAL emergency lube job.

www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html
In 1953, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry, in a small lab in San Diego, California.

It took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. But they must have been really good, because the original secret formula for WD-40—which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today.

Convair, an aerospace contractor, first used WD-40 to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion. The product actually worked so well that several employees snuck some WD-40 cans out of the plant to use at home."
(more on the website)
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:32:00 AM EDT
well usnjoe,,I to have used motoroil on my shotgun while in the field and one of those nice stormy afternoons.....
now when i'm hunting ,,i picked up one of those small spray cans of wd40 and wrapped it in a ols dishcloth..I carry it in my gamepouch at all times,,,,when the weather tunrs rainy,,,i spray my gun then wipe it down and keep on hunting....never EVER seen a speck of rust on any of my hunting guns thanks to wd40 in the field...
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 4:15:21 AM EDT
I use it whenever I get caught shooting in the rain. When you get out of the weather field strip, wipe off the gun, spray WD40 directly on it, then wipe it again. Doing this I have never had a problem with moisture in or on guns.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:31:37 AM EDT
WD40 also worked great at removing rust. Just spray on a rusty(non pitted) shotgun receiver etc. and leave on overnight and it will lift the rust right out of the receiver. Wipe off with a rag, repeat if neccessary.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:23:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/6/2002 9:45:53 PM EDT by sniped]
Dano523
I clean the barrel and action with hoppes #9
then shooter choice copper remover, I finish it off with a little rem oil and dry film as needed.

WD40 is sprayed on a black rag and wipe down on the outside only leave a great look, would'nt you agree.

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:35:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:18:22 AM EDT
Did they change the formula for WD-40? It doesn't seem as flammable as I remember from my younger, stupider days. With the straw in place & a lighter held in front a can of WD-40 made a decent field expident flamethrower for killing nasty creepy crawlie bugs (big ass spiders, wasps, etc). <Beavis voice> FIRE! FIRE!
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 4:20:15 AM EDT
Sorry but the formula is a military secret
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:24:23 AM EDT
I use WD40 as a cutting fluid when milling brass or aluminum, it seems to work fine for that.

I also use it after hot bluing, it displaces the water in most of the nooks and crannies. Then I wipe most of it off and relube with a real gun oil.

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:39:25 PM EDT
WD-40's best use it to remove the sticky residue left over from duct tape.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:47:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RiffRandall:
Did they change the formula for WD-40? It doesn't seem as flammable as I remember from my younger, stupider days. ...

Probably a change in the propellant.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:49:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sniped:
Dano523
I clean the barrel and action with hoppes #9
then shooter choice copper remover, I finish it off with a little rem oil and dry film as needed.

WD40 is sprayed on a black rag and wipe down on the outside only leave a great look, would'nt you agree.

Looks too dry for my taste.
Plus, I used WD-40 on a few wood stocks when I was young and it turned them yellow. Since then, I never use WD-40 on a rifle. Mostly due to the wood turning yellow, but also due to WD-40 dissolving the needed oil and gumming up the rifle.

As for the rem oil, it is a Kind of CLP, but I found that BreakfreeCLP works better on breaking up the fouling in the gas chamber between cleanings. I just slightly open the bolt and spray into the gas chamber ejection ports on the side of the bolt. This puts the gas rings in front of the holes, and allows the CLP to flow to the back of the gas chamber and clean the gas rings bearing surface and fouling in the gas chamber.

As for the dry look, If you plan on shooting in the dust, then your right on the mark. It's just that most of my varmint shooting is done off the mattes or free handed, and I get pissed it the rifle jams when I running something down.
Also, I never look at it as cleaning the rifle, but more as just changing the oil (CLP).

P.S. If you want to make it really shinny , use a light coat of Vaseline and wipe it in, then use a clean rag and wipe down/off the excess Vaseline. To me the rifle looks better when it shines. It just screams "NEW and Evil" the shiner it gets.
Top Top