Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2002 6:05:54 PM EDT
Has anyone heard of using Mobil 1 oil on their AR bolts? A friend was telling me he knows of a top ranked competition shooter who has used this for years. This sounds odd, but my friend then put 400 rounds through his AR using the Mobil 1 and was much more pleased with the Mobil 1 vs break free or other gun oil. Just thought I would toss this one out there.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
SSSSHHHH,
it's a secret
it's been around awhile
have you seen the bushmaster video?
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember reading about a SEAL operator that would strip and clean all metallic parts of his shotgun with diesel fuel.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Mobil 1 grease and oil are two of the best kept secrets of AR maintenance.

Mobil 1 grease is good for just about everything!
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Mobil 1 grease is good for just about everything!

There's a huge potential for a dirty joke in there somewhere!  >gg<
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#5]
What wieght do you use for the AR's when using Mobil-1?

I tired using Castroll 100% synthetic in 5w-50 and the stuff was dry after several days.  I wasn't impressed.  I feel that Shooters choice with FP-10 is much better than that sythetic stuff.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been told by an old timer, back woods, black powder man that the bore cleaner he used is hot boiling water! He would heat up a big pot of it then pour it into the barrel. I know that may make some of you "chemical" guys shudder, but that's what he told me. They didn't have all these fancy chemicals when he was shooting back then. Apparently he still thinks so.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've been told by an old timer, back woods, black powder man that the bore cleaner he used is hot boiling water! He would heat up a big pot of it then pour it into the barrel. I know that may make some of you "chemical" guys shudder, but that's what he told me. They didn't have all these fancy chemicals when he was shooting back then. Apparently he still thinks so.

For black powder that's fine since copper fouling is not a serious issue, but for smokeless powder guns firing high velocity jacketed bullets, you need something with more umph.

Black powder weapons do indeed clean well with boiling water.  In a combat zone with a heavily fouled barrel, soldiers were often taught to piss down their barrels (hot water and ammonia) then scrub out the worst of the fouling.  It works, but it ain't pretty.  The excess salts in the urine aren't all that great for the bore either, but all you are worried about in battle is making sure you can still ram a bullet down the bore and fire it out again, you can deal with the rust inducing chemicals, etc. if you survive.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Cleaning Rifles in three easy steps.

1. Spray down with Brake Cleaner.

2. Run several patches thru bore.

3. Run one patch thru bore with Mobil 1 oil, several to remove excess.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#10]
No sh*t, you guys use motor oil on your AR's?  

What wt?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top