Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2002 8:17:39 PM EDT
I'm getting a Springfield Armory X-Treme Duty 40 cal with 4" barrel and I need a good comfortable holster for concealed carry.

Does anyone have any suggestions? There are so many out there, belt, paddle, IWB. I need some good advice for my purchase.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have always used the inside the pant holsters from Sidekick. They are extra thin and they doent let sweat and moisture get to your gun. Also the are really cheap incase they get a beating. just my .02

BTW: If you get a sidekick holster (inside the pant kind) I recommend getting a size larger than recommended for your gun. This way the backstrap of your pistol wont be bulging out of your shirt. I have carried a Glock 19 and a Beretta 8000 (NOT at the same time!) with a T-shirt on without anyone taking notice.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Comp-Tac Shirtucker iwb holster for my Glock 26.  Its comfortable and conceals easily, tucked or untucked.  

Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Need more info on body build , type of clothes you like to wear and how you would prefer to carry . Me I'm chunky and live in the Pacific NW so I ended up carry my SW99 40Cal in a plain old Uncle Mikes No12 Sidekick holster . Got a shoulder holster for more formal dress mode (VERY RARELY wear it ).
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm getting a Springfield Armory X-Treme Duty 40 cal with 4" barrel and I need a good comfortable holster for concealed carry.

Does anyone have any suggestions? There are so many out there, belt, paddle, IWB. I need some good advice for my purchase.

Thanks for the help.

Ted Blocker Mossad Ayoob velcro setup is a great deal.  My set up is 10+ years old and still going strong!

mark
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I use a Comp-Tac Shirtucker iwb holster for my Glock 26.  Its comfortable and conceals easily, tucked or untucked.  

Bill3508

I too have a Comp-Tac shirt tucker and like it very much.  It's versatile and can be used inside the pants or outside.  Fits the gun like a glove too.  The guy who owns the place isn't half bad either.  I took my concealed carry course from him.  

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 12:47:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Kramer IWB2 horsehide.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:20:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll third the Comp-Tac shirt tucker. I can easily conceal my Kimber Pro Carry with this holster. Also, Greg that owns Comp-Tac is a great guy. Great customer service!

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd suggest an IWB for best concealment.  I'd also recommend sticking with Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, or Kramer leather.

Personally, I have found the Milt Sparks Versa Max II holster the most comfortable IWB out there...especially for big guns.  The profile is very slim, and it is extremely stable.  It all has to do with how they position the snaps.  Go check it out on their web site.

Good leather (Sparks, Rosen, Kramer) will cost you about $100 and 4-8 weeks...but it's worth the money and the wait.  Don't settle for inferior products.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Milt Sparks Summer Special!! I don't think there's a better IWB available. Some holsters may do this or that better than the Summer Special but overall I think it's the best.

Sparks Versa-Max 2 is also a wonderful holster. Although a bit on the heavy side, the VM-2 is still comfortable, concealable, and user friendly. You basically can't go wrong with either the Summer Special or the VM-2.

One thing not to do is buy one of these cheap clip on nylon holsters and expect it to work well. Spend the money on a good holster and properly fitted belt that will support the weight of you gun and accessories. The initial cash outlay will be paid back ten fold in service life and quality of the holster so don’t skimp especially if you plan on using the rig on a daily basis.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
One thing not to do is buy one of these cheap clip on nylon holsters and expect it to work well. Spend the money on a good holster and properly fitted belt that will support the weight of you gun and accessories. The initial cash outlay will be paid back ten fold in service life and quality of the holster so don’t skimp especially if you plan on using the rig on a daily basis.  

Amen to that!

I carry my USP .40c in a Galco concealable and have been very impressed with it's durability and it's ability to retain the pistol.  Case in point: I had a minor motorcycle accident about a year ago while carrying... I flipped off the bike, rolled a few times and then slid on my right side for the last several feet. I enedup sliding right on my gun and holster (with my shirt and sweater between my holster and the concrete).

The weapon stayed on my side and all that happened to the holster is that a bit if the leather finish was rubbed down...which actually gives it a more 'broken in' look that I have taken a liking to. Check out Galco... they've a bunch of different styles for most guns. I'm sure you'll find something you'll like.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I just don't get what most people seem to think is concealed. Doesn't a 1.5" belt 1/4" thick with a big honking clip with nothing attached to it scream "GUN!" I guess you could just tell them it's for your colostomy bag.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'd suggest an IWB for best concealment.  I'd also recommend sticking with Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, or Kramer leather.

Good leather (Sparks, Rosen, Kramer) will cost you about $100 and 4-8 weeks...but it's worth the money and the wait.  Don't settle for inferior products.

I agree with this.  I use IWB holsters exclusively, except for a Kramer MSP Paddle holster. I prefer Sparks and Rosen, finding them a bit better buys (less cash, but more time delay) than Kramer.  Kramer usually can make a holster in a couple weeks, the others a couple of months.

I have the Executive's Companion for my main carry gun, and have been thinking seriously about adding the VersaMax II to replace my MSP Paddle.

I have Bianchi IWB clip-ons for a couple of small, light guns, and these are okay where the weight of the gun doesn't put much stress on the leather.

BTW, get a real, proper gunbelt that FITS the beltloops of the holster(s).  A good holster on a poorly made, cheap leather belt might as well be poorly made from cheap leather too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the good advice guys. I think I've made my decision. I'm going to go with the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2.

Now I have a few questions about it.
1.Whats the difference between cow hide and horse hide?
2.Which one is better and more durable?
3.Is one or the other easier on the finish of the gun metal?
4.Does this holster have the smooth side on the inside and outside?
5.What color is cordovan? Is it like a darker tan or more of a dark red?
6.Do they even make this holster for the X-Treme Duty pistol?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#14]
dang I need to get my CHL...

I have a fullsize 1911, and bought a decent leather IWB holster.  I think it's a Howe, IIRC.  I'll have to check when I get home.  It's got the loops that snap, so it's easier to take off, not having to take your belt off.  Haven't gotten to carry it much, lacking the CHL, but I should have that hopefully by the end of the year.  :)

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Take a look at the Galco FLETCH...   Don't disregard the new plastics by Fobus..   I use the FLETCH on duty (concealed) and a Fobus off duty...
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Thumbtrap,
   Do you think the sheep or any of those hoodlums out there know what a concealed holster looks like?  I'm pretty sure they don't.  I've worn my shirt-tucker everywhere for months without a single question asked.  I would call that concealed, wouldn't you.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the good advice guys. I think I've made my decision. I'm going to go with the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2.

Now I have a few questions about it.
1.Whats the difference between cow hide and horse hide?
2.Which one is better and more durable?
3.Is one or the other easier on the finish of the gun metal?
4.Does this holster have the smooth side on the inside and outside?
5.What color is cordovan? Is it like a darker tan or more of a dark red?
6.Do they even make this holster for the X-Treme Duty pistol?

Thanks guys.

You've got mail.  Main point...call Milt Sparks as these guys are friendly and knowledgeable and will help you make the best decision for YOU and not just try to sell you on certain features or options.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Glock 23 (.40) DeSantis IWB ambi holster, very comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I've used Milt Sparks Summer Special II's for over ten years now.

I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I agree with Gunbert.  For concealment, Galco and Kramer are at the top of my list.  I've never tried a Sparks, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top