Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2002 12:24:13 PM EDT
I've been dying to get my hands on a Springfield Armory X-Treme Duty 40cal with the OD Green frame.

A friend of mine has one in black and it is a great shooting pistol. I think the green frame is slick but every gun dealer I called couldn't locate one.

I've been trying for 3 days and finally my FFL found one in California. He ordered it today and I should have it by Monday or Tuesday hopefully.

I know this might make a few glockaholics mad but after shooting the SA-XD, I'm gonna have to put my Glock in the safe for awhile. It just feels better, looks better, and handles better than my Glock 21.

I was going to go with the tactical model, 5" barrel, but that is even harder to find since they just came out this month. But I guess the 4" barrel will be better for me since I'm going to get my CCW permit July 13th. Well thats the day I'm going to take my test so I guess I'll have about a month or two after that before I get my permit. But at least I'll be ready for it when I get it.

Has anyone else here fired the SA-XD pistol? What do you think about it?

In my opinion I like it better than Glocks. It has a more comfortable grip and grip angle, steel mags and mag catch and ambidexturous mag release. Not to mention its just as rugged, reliable, and tough as the Glock pistols.

On the down side it doesn't have tons of aftermarket products for it like Glock does but I'm sure there will be plenty when it gets more popular.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Let us know how she shoots.  Im waiting for my permit to arrive and are trying to decide what to buy when it does.  Its between a Glock, Walther P99, SA-XD or HK USP.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll post all about it as soon as it gets here and I take it for a test drive.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If they were still imported by IM Metals I would definitely recommend getting one. I paid $250 for my HS2000 and it was the best value in firearms at the time. It is an excellent shooter! I know the Springfield XD is the same pistol but I'm not too happy with the huge price increase.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got two of the original HS-2000 9s. They are great. I like them much better than the Glocks. I'm not saying that they are better but after my first trip to the range, I gave my G17 to my GF. She likes the Glock cause her coworkers told her what a great gun it is.

The grip angle is much better, well I like it more anyway. Go check things out over at HS2000talk.com , they have lots of info there, even on the XD.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#5]
WOW $250? I'm getting mine for $430 and from what I've seen at some dealers and at gunshows they usually run around $440 or $450.

I guess they have a pretty big price increase just by having Springfields brand name on it and thier warrenty.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#6]

posted by nighthawk
WOW $250? I'm getting mine for $430 and from what I've seen at some dealers and at gunshows they usually run around $440 or $450.

Yes, that is correct. The HS-2000 sold for the $250-$300 range last year at this time. I got my two a little later (in September). I had just ordered one and sent the money on 9/9/01. Well two days later we all know what happened. So the post office was running everything on the "slow boat to china" routine. I didn't end up getting it till almost a month later. It was $275+fees. The weekend after the 11th I went up to a gun show and picked up one for $300. I figured it was still a good deal and wanted it, cause I didn't know how long the ordered one would take to show up.

Keep in mind though that those who bought these things early were gambling on them to be supported in the future. You basically didn't have any guarantee that you would ever be able to get spare parts for them. A lot of people complain about SA tacking on another $100 for marketing them but this is probably reasonable for all the costs and responsibilities they are signing up for by stamping their name on them. And "yes" they are worth the extra money. I'm thinking about getting one of the .40 XDs. One of my ex-GFs wants one of the HS-2000s so I might sell it to her and get the XD40.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top