Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2002 11:31:40 AM EDT
Well I have been reading up on this and I it seems quite odd if you had evil features on your rifle before 94 its ok but if not you cannot put them on and if you have a "evil rifle" thats a pre ban you have to prove that you had the features on before the ban???  how do you do that I always thought it was innoccent until proven guilty?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I think that you just have to prove that it was a complete rifle  before sept. 94, no matter what configuration it was in when it was sold.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
As for AR-15's, if it left the factory as a complete rifle before 9/13/94, then it is a legal, grandfathered "assault weapon". If it left the factory as a lower only before that date, it had to be assembled into an "assault weapon" before the ban to be grandfathered. If the lower was made before the ban, but not assembled into a complete rifle until after the ban, then the government considers it a post-ban rifle.

As for rifles that did not have "evil" features from the factory such as Ruger 10/22's and many Ruger Mini-14's, if the did not have the "evil" features before the ban, you cannot add them now even if the rifle was made in, say, 1980.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#3]
so what do you have to do take a picture of your rifle with all the evil features? seems like a hard for the ATF to prove, if they even cared.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The '94 Crime Bill's purpose was partially to eliminate features commonly found on semi-autos, and partially to cause the heads of gun enthusiasts to explode as they try to make sense of the laws.  Sneaky...isn't it?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The '94 Crime Bill's purpose was partially to eliminate features commonly found on semi-autos, and partially to cause the heads of gun enthusiasts to explode as they try to make sense of the laws.  Sneaky...isn't it?

Yeah, what he said!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
so what do you have to do take a picture of your rifle with all the evil features? seems like a hard for the ATF to prove, if they even cared.

Actually its easy for them; difficult for us.  The burden of proof is on the owner of the gun to prove it is a genuine pre-ban, assembled with two or more assault features before 9-13-94.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I've only dealt with Bushmaster, but they will tell you if it was a COMPLETE rifle before 9/13/94.  They will also provide documentation to that effect, if needed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've only dealt with Bushmaster, but they will tell you if it was a COMPLETE rifle before 9/13/94.  They will also provide documentation to that effect, if needed.

ArmaLite will also tell you if it left the factory as a complete rifle before 9/13/94, but neither they nor Bushmaster can tell you if a lower that went as just a lower was assembled into a complete gun before that date.

All they can do is tell you how it left the factory.  If it was a complete gun, fine, but neither one can provide you documentation as whether or not parts that shipped as parts and not a complete gun were assembled by someone else before that date.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well I have been reading up on this and I it seems quite odd if you had evil features on your rifle before 94 its ok but if not you cannot put them on and if you have a "evil rifle" thats a pre ban you have to prove that you had the features on before the ban???  how do you do that I always thought it was innoccent until proven guilty?

===============================================

gregy,
seems we bin down this road b4, wasn't it explained well enuff the first tyme ?

pre-ban & post ban are determined strictly on serial numbers logged wyth the respective mfgrs., before/on/after Sept. 13, 1994ad

if you have a pre-ban upper on a post-ban lower you can pay very dearly IF caught.., but it's lyke i was told a long tyme ago, "it ain't whut'cha do.., it's whut'cha git cawt doin"

got it now ??
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#10]
BUT!!

According to the latest unconstitutional edict from the kings men..........

IF you "unmarry" the evil features from even your factory assembled pre 9/94 assault weapon and sell the receiver,  it has now become a dreaded post ban receiver never to be made into a "pre"

IF that is the case WE ALL must prove that our preban-configured rifles have not been "unmarried" from their evil features after 9/94.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Biggame223

Out
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 12:46:32 AM EDT
[#11]
When did this "un-marrying" clause come about?

By your wording, just taking a preban AR down for a good cleaning might qualify to make it a post-ban!
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:34:17 AM EDT
[#12]
now.., this is getting weird

i guess the next thyng will be staked & painted forward pins/screws to make certain uppers & lowers stay together ?????????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top