Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2002 8:03:09 AM EDT
I am looking to put an Aimpoint sight on top of my new upper.  Anyone have any experience / opinions on these sights?  I know the military is using them so they must be pretty decent.  What ranges are you using yours at?  
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#1]
At Blackwater, I borrowed an Aimpoint ML2 for the week long course.  We were shooting anywhere from 10 feet to 400 meters.  IMHO it's the best dot sight.  When I got home I ended up buying an Aimpoint Comp M (1rst generation) from a board member, because the price was right.  Down the road I plan on upgrading to the newest generation.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the 2X model. Got it from SWFA, wouldn't give it back to them even if they offered me more than I paid. It's that good.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your input.  How did the Aimpoint ML2 do out at 400 meters?  What type of targets were you shooting at that range?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Steel plates at an elevated position (about 20 feet up).  Plinking them like there was no tommorrow.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an Aimpoint Comp M on my LE 6920 (M4) and use it from contact distance out to 200 yards on our ranges. Targets are everything from B27 types, realistic combat targets, to water bottles. Misses are very rare.

For me, it isn't the accuracy, I was accuracte with iron sights. It's all about the speed.

For CQB, the Aimpoint dominates. I also owned a C-more and a Reflex II (amber triangle). Both of those have been sold, the Aimpoint isn't going anywhere and in fact I am about to buy a second one for a M1A Squad Scout.

Get it!
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 3:17:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Would you all recommend the 2MOA or 4 MOA sight?
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 3:55:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Def the 4MOA  like Vinne said, even out to 300-400 yds its that good but at close ranges its easy to pick up and sharp.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:13:25 AM EDT
[#8]
By all means, get one. Get the smallest MOA you can find. If you can't see the dot, turn up the intensity.
While you're at it pick up a good mount. I use the aimpoint cantelever from GG&G on my flattop 16", it's great. You've got enough space behind the mount for NV or additional optics, plus it has a spare battary compartment, waterproof and rugged of course. Re-zero on this mount is not a problem. I take my mount off all the time with no consequences. Arizona Gun Runners usually has pretty good prices on GG&G mounts.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The 2MOA is the magnified one, right?  I say go with the simpler unmagnified Aimpoint.  Also, don't turn it all the way up when you do finally get it.  6 or so clicks will make a nice fine dot for you to use.  clicked all the way up will make a bigger, more blurry dot that will cover up alot of the target.  A mansized target at 300m will be completly covered with the Aimpoint at full intensity, but clicked down 3 or so notches will set the dot covering just center mass.

You next question will be what mount.  If you have a flattop, I'd say the "sexiest" mount out there is the KAC offset mount.  It's also solid as a rock.

For a backup sight, again I like the KAC 600m flip up.  It's about twice as expensive as an ARMS 40, but I think it looks and feels more solid.  As an FYI, some guy was selling them on the EE for 125, which is an absurd price for that sight.  They usually go for around 175, 150 is a good deal.  He said he'd get more soon (I missed the boat on the last 4 he had) and I personally am gonna jump on it to keep as a spare.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]
what mount military use for aimpoint? ive seen aimpoint's railgrabber for sure but no kac or gg&g..
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#11]
LIke GloryHog, I use the GG&G Cantilever mount on my M4, in addition to all the good things he mentioned, he forget rule #1:

Always look cool.

It doesn't get any cooler looking than an Aimpoint in that mount.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
LIke GloryHog, I use the GG&G Cantilever mount on my M4, in addition to all the good things he mentioned, he forget rule #1:

Always look cool.

It doesn't get any cooler looking than an Aimpoint in that mount.

Now I've heard it all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top