Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/25/2002 9:20:48 PM EDT
At the range recently I tripped and ended up giving my AR a mouthful of dirt. The muzzle brake was pretty much fully clogged with soft dirt/clay (although none entered the barrel). Just to be safe I gave it a very thorough cleaning before firing again...

Theoretically, what would have happened if I had fired it right then with the clogged brake? No big deal or notify-next-of-kin time?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:22:34 PM EDT
As long as the barrel itself wasn't plugged, all that would have happened is a very fast unclogging of your muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:59:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dmaas:
At the range recently I tripped and ended up giving my AR a mouthful of dirt. The muzzle brake was pretty much fully clogged with soft dirt/clay (although none entered the barrel). Just to be safe I gave it a very thorough cleaning before firing again...

Theoretically, what would have happened if I had fired it right then with the clogged brake? No big deal or notify-next-of-kin time?

READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL, NOW!
OBSTUCTIONS ARE OBSTRUCTIONS!
GG
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:00:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DeFens:
As long as the barrel itself wasn't plugged, all that would have happened is a very fast unclogging of your muzzle brake.

I agree. It would act like there was no brake at all, no an obstructed barrel. All I could imagine it doing is blowing out the dirt.

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:07:33 AM EDT
Thanks for the replies. I am of course aware that any sort of barrel obstruction is highly dangerous. Rather than experimenting myself I thought it'd be smarter to ask if anyone here has experience with firing their AR under less-than-ideal conditions... (just so I know, if the proverbial S ever HTF =)
Top Top