Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
4/25/2017 7:42:44 PM
Posted: 6/25/2002 9:42:46 AM EDT
Sirs

I've been getting lots of emails lately, from people seeing the Tavor used by IDF in CNN and the newspapers, and wanted to know what its current status.

Well, originally the Tavor 1 was field tested by only one infantry battalion. However, lately the IDF expanded the field test and many more soldiers were issued the Tavor.

Operator armed with an IMI CTAR fitted with both a Trijicon ACOG X4 day optic and an ITL MARS laser/reflex combo during a raid in the Jenin refugee camp.

Finally, it appears that the IDF is going to buy about 10,000 Tavor 2 (new model) samples that will replace most M16A1 variants now used by the IDF. I personally think it's not a smart move to say the least. Bullpup don't allow both shoulders fire (for CQB) and magazines switch is slow.

Tavor 2 (based on the old Tavor 1 micro model)

Any way, you can read more about it here - www.isayeret.com/updates/gear.htm

And about the new Tavor 2 here – www.isayeret.com/weapons/assault/tavor/tar2.htm

BTW, the Barrett civi Tavor was based after the Tavor 2.

Best regards,

Daniel Cohen, Webmaster

www.isayeret.com

The Israeli Special Forces Home Page
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:20:43 AM EDT
I really hope they get the civilian version of this going here. I would love one.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:42:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/25/2002 12:44:58 PM EDT by Branson]
Interesting optics setup, looks like the ACOG is mounted off-center so the operator can view the CQB reflex sight.

Why would the mag switch be slow if the mag drops free?

Also, what improvements were incorporated into the Tavor 2 model?

EDIT: never mind about the improvements, I followed the links. Don't sound like tremendous improvements to me, but its all in the eye of the beholder.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:03:15 PM EDT
Thanks Daniel!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:39:52 PM EDT
What is a left hand shooter to do? I think it looks like crap, however, looks are not something you consider in combat.

medcop
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:52:39 PM EDT
It's fun to see life imitating Sci-Fi. Maybe the guys who design movie props should get involved in the real thing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 3:37:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By medcop:
What is a left hand shooter to do? I think it looks like crap, however, looks are not something you consider in combat.

medcop

Notice that the gun in the top pic has an ejection port on the right, and the gun in the bottom has a port on the left. It's a convertible system to accommodate lefties.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 3:47:43 PM EDT
Yep, it does have right and left ejection and the civi version slated to get here in August(!?!???) will take modified ar-15 mags. I think they were saying dealer price will be about 1500-1700. Let's hope they drop the price!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:03:03 PM EDT
Kewl, now I just wish that I knew when the civilian version would be avalible, I really want one!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:05:19 PM EDT
Another thing that would be kewl is if they offered the 9mm conversion to the public!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:15:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NSFJojo:
Yep, it does have right and left ejection and the civi version slated to get here in August(!?!???) will take modified ar-15 mags. I think they were saying dealer price will be about 1500-1700. Let's hope they drop the price!

I didnt know you had to modify the AR mag for it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:10:09 PM EDT

The IMI Tavor Assault Rifle (TAR) also has a civilian version designed for the U.S. market. Modeled after the new Special Forces Tavor, the civilian Tavor is much different from the original Tavor design.

IMI is currently checking the concept with the American company Barrett Firearms, but nothing is certain yet. If and when the prototype will be made commercially, it will be most likely made in the U.S. from all U.S. parts and will host standard M16 magazines. The weapon will also be very expensive with price estimates ranging from 1500$ to 2000$.

Note that the civilian Tavor seen in the following photos was made in Israel by IMI and not by Barrett.

I suppose it works well enough, though its appearance is another matter, IMO. Probably would benefit from a muzzle-break device.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:47:31 PM EDT
i agree with Mach1, it looks like something from star trek. the handle is so close to the muzzle i wonder how many people are going to lose some fingers using it. although it looks like it might make a good club.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:19:09 AM EDT
I played with one of these at the Shot Show. It is #2 on my list second only to the FN P90. When it comes out ill definatley save my pennies and get one.
Top Top